Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing CD drive in "My Computer" Folder

• Please log in to reply

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I seem to be missing my CD player in the My Computer folder. I tried going over a couple of ways to fix it in the malware forum (it was in addition to a malware problem.) In the drivers folder of my computer, there is a yellow exclamation point next to "QSI CDRW/DVD SBQ242U." I tried uninstalling it and rebooting my computer twice, but unfortunately, this message pops up after reboot:

Cannot Start This Hardware

There was a problem installing this hardware: CD-ROM Drive

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is complete or damaged. (Code 19)

I also tried rebooting in safe mode and selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" as the option to reboot into. However, that failed to fix my problem, as the same error message appeared. I know the forums are busy, but if someone could help me asap, the it would help a lot. I am a college student and my semester is over on Wednesday, meaning I will not have internet access on this laptop until January 22nd. I want to be able to play music at my grandma's (she doesn't own a CD player.) Thanks to whoever helps me fix my problem.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Here is a possible fix from M$: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=320553 upper and lower filters, drive not found. This is a fix in the registry. Be sure to follow all of the precaustions and instructions detailed by M$.

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thanks but it unfortuantely didn't work. I'll re-install Windows when I get back to my Grandma's. Thanks for your help.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You could try going into the device window and remove the device, then reboot and see if it installs correctly. Also, you could try to update the driver and see if that fixes things. Make sure you have the CD if it came with the drive.

NYIsles4

NYIsles4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Yeah, I tried all of that already and they both failed. I'm going to have to re-install it again. I know exactly which CD to use too.