Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mandriva - Does it stray?

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey anyone used the latest mandriva? Does it stray too much away from slackwarea and redhat likeness?

the reason i ask is because i have 10.0 powerpack edition of mandrake and if you put gcc into the console it doesnt know what your talking about.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I have not used the latest edition, but I use 10.0 and gcc is installed. I don't recall if it is by default or if you have to select it. I have found Mandrake/Mandriva to know what most devices are whereas RedHat has failed to know the devices.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
haha, your always the first to answer non-Winslows questions:)

Cool, i think ill try it out, i cant believe Fedora doesnt support mp3's out the box, [bleep] law suits.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It is numbers game, there are far more people who know Windoze than Linux, so being one of the few, it is easy to be one of the first to reply :-).

A friend loaded a notebook computer and RH did not recognize the CD or the network card, as well as the video driver, so there was no way to update it. I suspect that the CD was a common issue where it does not load the module, but my friend did not know that. The bottom line was that he could not do anything with it. He then loaded Mandrake and everything just worked.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmm...im half and half...i dont like the fact that mandriva has less software on it....ill give it a try anyway, mandrake was dreak back in 10.0 for everything except what i needed it for at the time *rolls eyes* :tazz:

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hey man, installed mandriva on my laptop, it works great, fedora wouldnt install to laptop so im impressed:D, shame it doesnt come with the motherload of software other distros come with

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Wow...it doesnt stop...the sound and video was found for the most obscure system id ever seen. :tazz:

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Ubuntu is my personal choice! I did try running Mandriva on my 64 bit PC - but it was kinda slow. I run ubuntu on my laptop too, and everything works out of the box. Am happy with it!!!

On my mandriva- the sound wouldnt work and it wouldnt play videos too for some strange reason. Most of the other stuff would work though

Cheers