Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weak reception of wireless signal

• Please log in to reply

Niltag

Niltag

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First, let me assure you I am not stealing a signal or anything. I am in the Military and currently deployed. Our morale folks have provided us with the wireless signal. My problem is, the built in wireless on my laptop does not get a very good signal. I have a Pro Star laptop, and when I am in the dayroom with everyone else I barly get one bar, and everyone else is getting 5 bars. If I hold it up in the window just rigth I can get 5 bars as well. Is there any way to boost my internal antenas strenght. Can I hook up an external antena? Or do I just have to hold it in the window?

Thanks

Wendell

Advertisements

Anbo

Anbo

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Internal wireless can be very weak. Try buying an Orinoco PCI card for your laptop. Those are definately nice. They have an attachment for antennas, and you can build an antenna with a coffee can and some other matieral, believe it or not. Google search Coffee Can Antenna or "Cantenna" for more info.

Hope this helps.

-(Anbo)-

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i agree with anbo on this one...and..really don't have any input on your issue...

just wanted to tell you thanks for going out there...and be careful...come back alive!