Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New to Linux SuSe 10.0

• Please log in to reply

sweft

sweft

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hello All!
Thanks for taking a look. Okay.. I am wondering about good programs for SuSe 10.0. I mean: do I worry about spyway and viruses? Pop Up's? (haven't had any yet!)
What is also a good program for GUI's for Linux? This is crazy because I have to self install programs like the Java plug in and more yet to come.
What are good compilers for c#? I'm used to Visual Studio 2005 and 03..
I have Suse 10.0 64 and I cannot tell the differnce in the speed from a 32.. hmm..

So let me know and thanks for your advice in advanced.

Sweft

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Popups are still an issue, but using a good browser like Firefox can help deal with it. In general, there not a problem with viruses and spyware, but there are still security issues. It is important to not normally use a root account and to not use HTML mail (same as with all machines).

GUI is a graphical user interface, so what are you looking for?

gcc is a good compiler. Check out http://www.linux.org for various applications.

Unless you are doing something which is cpu intensive and that is compiled for 64 bit, you are not going to see much of a difference.

sweft

sweft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I am talking about Skins and Themes for Linux.

Thanks for the information because I have been using the root account. SO I will create another one.

Sweft

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The skins and themes would not be for "Linux", but for the window system, such as KDE or GNOME. There are a couple choices, but the default is fine for me so I have not bothered to check out that type of thing. You would need to check for what you are using.

For example:

http://webcvs.kde.or...artwork/Themes/

has some for KDE.