Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive stuffing up!

• Please log in to reply

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Now I've done it.

Being the pirate of the high seas that I am, I installed a virtual CD drive onto my computer. It worked fine, but now I can't skip tracks/fast forward or otherwise do any searching on my real, non-virtual DVD drive.

Please help me out, Doc!

Edit....

Oh my god, now I can't even open my DVD player. It just crashes.

Help me!

Edited by maxiewawa, 18 December 2005 - 05:21 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I think a good place to start would be to remove the offending software "virtual cd" you installed. Go to add/remove programs and remove it. See if that helps. Once you have done that, if it still does not work, try doing a system restore to a restore point prior to installing the virtual cd.

maxiewawa

maxiewawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
a) How can I do a system restore?

b) I've found out something strange: snooping around the actual DVD movie in My Computer, I've found *.vob files in the VIDEO_TS directory. These play fine.

Curioser and curioser!

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
from windows help:

To run System Restore in safe mode
Access System Restore through Help and Support.
Follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.
While the computer is in safe mode, System Restore does not create any restore points. Therefore, you cannot undo a restoration that you performed when the computer was in safe mode.
You can use System Restore to restore your computer to any restore point while in safe mode. If you cannot start the computer in standard mode, you can use System Restore to restore to a time when you could start the computer without errors.
To restore to a time when your computer started without errors, select a restore point as close to the time you remember it last started without errors.
If System Restore is suspended because of insufficient disk space, you cannot enable it by making more disk space available while in safe mode. You must restart the computer in standard mode and make more disk space available.