Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new grpahics card for noobie

• Please log in to reply

Naz-T

Naz-T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well i altered two things and it seems to be cured (fingers crossed)

i altered something that was memry buffer? from 1mb to 8mb cant renember where it was lol but that heped also the main culpret --- dont laugh... i switched from my cordless laser mouse to a usb mouse and boom i was away playing in full technicolour so to speak lol, ps ive got a huge monitor ready when i move the pc upstairs in 3 months time so im just making do with limited space at the mo.
does hurt the eyes abit though when gaming hard lol

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

It isnt whe you are using it, i used to use a 15" TFT on my old system, and waht a difference when i bought my 19" syncmaster i use the old computer occasionally and i cant beleive i was able to use it, its so tiny and small. Once you know what its like to use something bigger you cant go back.

Thats true...

Naz-T, memory buffer? I think I know what you mean, but I didn't know you could alter it...

Naz-T

Naz-T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
not sure either but when i shut down and re-booted yesterday all was back to normal, so i downloaded some Omega drivers? still a little shakey to begin with but actually in game alot better .

wish id bought an nvidia now lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your problem i dont thinkwat down to the gfx card it would have been the systems settings before, you probably would have had the same problem with any card you had bought. And when nvidias screw up and dont like them ive always founf them much harder to get going, ive always found ive been able to get ATI cards to work when even though ive had bother with them theNvidia card will give up and you have to reset and reformat the whoe system before they are happy the ATIs kiccked a hiisy fit but a few tweaks and the odd bash with a hammer got them going(i aint kidding with the hammer i got an old system from my uncle once and the only way to get it going sometimes was to hti it on the side with hammer was totally insane it was from the days when computers were solid beasts that you could hit and drop the case because it wasnt plastic it was steel.

Bet you didnt use driver cleaner to get rid of the old drivers which might cause bother, besides you wanted a 6600GT and you really would have been dissapointed with one of those things.

Edited by warriorscot, 10 January 2006 - 10:59 AM.

Naz-T

Naz-T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
driver cleaner? .... ahem nope lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When you install a new card and you have problems it can often be drivers from previous hardware conflicting, you are spposed to use driver cleaner to wipe them from the system so you can install new ones safely.