Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This page cannot be displayed - DNS error

• Please log in to reply

samiamnurnot

samiamnurnot

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, my friends computer connects to the internet, but it won't navigate to any site. It just shows the DNS error page. :tazz: Please help? Thanks

--samiam

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. How are you connecting to the internet? Are you using broadband (cable modem or DSL) or dial up? How do you know you are "connected" if you can't get to any web page? Do you have an account set up with an Internet Service Provider (ISP)? Have you configured your connection in internet explorer's internet connection wizzard? Have you used the "help" feature in windows to figure out what is wrong? Windows "help" would have already asked you all of these questions and maybe even shown you how to fix it.

samiamnurnot

samiamnurnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi there Austin, thank you for your reply. I really should've given more details, but my friend waits til past my bedtime when my brain is in 'shut-down mode' to insist that I fix his computer. So, in answer to your questions:

• He uses a dial-up connection

• I know the modem is connected because the modem status icon is active in the taskbar, and it shows data sent and received. Also, when I lift the receiver on the phone, there is modem noise.

• Yes, he has an account which is well established (unfortunately they do not offer tech support)

• His comp was configured, and had no problems, until now. He didn't make any changes whatsoever. I followed windows 'help' troubleshooter, deleted the old connection, and set up a new one. I even uninstalled the modem and re-installed it. I double checked all of the TCP/IP settings in network properties, and everything seems up to par. He's running Windows ME, by the way.

This seems like it should be so easy to fix, but still I am at a loss. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you again. :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, when he launches the dial up connection, is he prompted by the ISP to login? Is he able to do that?

samiamnurnot

samiamnurnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No, he has it set up to where he is automatically logged in. His password is correct, but just to be sure, I deleated the .pwl file in the windows directory, and reset it. Still not getting anywhere... :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I think a good place to start is with the ISP. They may not have "tech support" but at least they should be able to confirm his connection with some simple checks, or some ping tests.

samiamnurnot

samiamnurnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thank you, I'll try that