Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Up Problems Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Keith or Fenor.

So far so good Windows XP And SP2 successfully installed. Now working on downloading the updates.

I am about to reload Windows Office but a quick question on that.

I have these discs:

1. Microsoft Office 2000 Professional (2 CDs) and I later bought the upgrade and obtained:
2. Microsost Office XP Professional (2 CDs)
marked:
(a) Office XP Version 2002 and
(b) Office XP Upgrade

Do I need to load 4 the discs or just the Office XP CDs?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Defragment the drive and set a restore point, done this way so the disc is pretty much ordered when you set the restore point

If you have an Office XP Pro CD which does not mention upgrade, or say disc two, then try that

It will ask for the qualifying media if it is expecting Office 2000, so wait for it to do that

Berocca

Berocca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks Keith for all your help.

I think I will be right from this point on.

Unfortunately my new hard disk is now riddled with Malware.

It seems that the Windows XP discs supplied to me by the guy who sold me the laptop was badly infected with trojans, spyware, viruses. You name it.

I have started to remove all the malware by following all the procedures set out in the Malware Forum, and when finished I will post a hijack log in that forum if any problems remain.

I should have checked the XP discs before loading, but just didn't expect it. Another lessson hard learned.

Many thanks again Keith and Fenor.