Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm being hacked somehow[CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

Ok, remember what I said about the possibilty of MSConfig causing memory leaks, if used to disable services and processes. Well, that might be the issue. This is what I would do, first open MSConfig, and retick everything you unticked. Then reboot. Once you do that, do the following. Make sure you follow each step by the letter, or you may not fix the problem.

This behavior may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
• One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that are installed on your computer are faulty.
• The RAM configuration is incompatible with Windows XP.

RESOLUTION
To troubleshoot this behavior, follow these steps:
1. Remove some of the memory modules that are installed on the computer. Leave at least the RAM that is required for the computer to start and run Windows XP.

The recommended RAM to run Windows XP is (at least) 256 megabytes (MB) I recommened 512MB. The minimum is 128 MB, and the maximum is 4 gigabytes.

For example, if two 256-MB memory modules are installed on your computer, remove one of the memory modules.
2. Restart your computer, and then run the Setup program:
a. Insert the Windows XP Setup CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, start the computer, and then click OK to select the first option screen to install a copy of Windows XP.
b. Click Accept, and then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows XP installation.
3. If you again receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section, go to step 4.
4. Remove a different memory module, or install the RAM in a different memory slot.
5. Restart your computer, and then rerun Setup.

You may have to restart your computer several times to identify the specific memory modules that are not working correctly.

Hopefully this will fix your problem. So far, all the info I found points to ram (memory) issues.

Good luck! :tazz:

B

Advertisements

Unoxis2002

Unoxis2002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi,

Ok, remember what I said about the possibilty of MSConfig causing memory leaks, if used to disable services and processes.  Well, that might be the issue.  This is what I would do, first open MSConfig, and retick everything you unticked.  Then reboot.  Once you do that, do the following.  Make sure you follow each step by the letter, or you may not fix the problem. 

This behavior may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
• One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that are installed on your computer are faulty.
• The RAM configuration is incompatible with Windows XP.

View Post

OK...Now I'm very confused. I've had the same RAM for a year and this is the first time I've had a problem? I don't get it lol. Can RAM just all of a sudden go bad? I have 2 sticks of 512mb.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Ok, well, I don't think the ram is bad, but it can't hurt to do those steps. Like I said, I believe the real problem is due to a memory leak. So please, do the steps I said including, reticking everything you unticked in MSConfig. Note: you might need to reboot a severly times, to clear the problem. If you have any more questions, post them and I will do my best to answer them. :tazz:

Hope that makes more sense. Didn't mean to confuse you.

B

Unoxis2002

Unoxis2002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Ok, well, I don't think the ram is bad, but it can't hurt to do those steps.  Like I said, I believe the real problem is due to a memory leak.  So please, do the steps I said including, reticking everything you unticked in MSConfig.  Note: you might need to reboot a severly times, to clear the problem.  If you have any more questions, post them and I will do my best to answer them.  ;)

Hope that makes more sense.  Didn't mean to confuse you.

B

View Post

OK I will try in a minute. I never heard the term memory leak, and I've always used MSCONFIG and never had this problem. And then I thought my RAM went bad. That's why I was confused lol. :tazz: I will post back after I do what you've advised. Thank you. :thumbsup:

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.