Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up secure network while sharing internet

• Please log in to reply

Marcusmmc23

Marcusmmc23

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'm trying to set up a secure network between my desktop and laptop. My laptop has wireless built in and I normally have a D-Link DI-624 router to connect the two. Since I live in an apartment, neighbors have been logging onto my network and using my internet. How do I set up my network so I can still use my laptop on the net wirelessly and not have people stealing files and net access? Thanks for your help! I'm getting desperate!

Advertisements

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

Try to enable security in your router like WEP or WPA.That will prevent your neighbours from connecting to your wireless network.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I cant speak for D-Link, as I dont personally use it. But I have Lynksis, and if you goto their web site, you will find a tool there that you use online to setup your router, it will require you to have a burner, so use the computer that has a CD burner, it will make you a disk, and ONLY computers that have ran that disk in their computer will have access. also on a neat side note... the little 24mb CD's.. usually called pocket CD's are great for software like that... and very protable :tazz: I hope that helps!

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
There are several ways to go about this, WEP has already been mentioned, but you will probably also want to consider MAC filtering, that will only allow the MAC addresses entered to use the device wirelessly. To obtain the MAC for a PCs NIC, open the command window and type "ipconfig /all" , you will see the MAC address. Also, for obvious reasons, make sure you have a STRONG password.