Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home network

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I am trying to set up a home network, the weird thing is in the past it worked great. I moved to a new house and lost my cable and now have DSL, it was wroking great... but again has all but stopped. I have tried removeing and reinstalling the lynksis router, with no luck. I have been trying to setup a new network, but whats weird is only one computer can see the other computers at anytime. I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops at home and only one of them can see ALL of the other computer, but cant access them. No of the other computers can even see the networked computers. The strangest thing is that the one good computer, WAS desktop#1 but now is laptop#1... its freaking weird. Everytime I try and set up a home network.. it asks me if I want to make a disk. It will only let you make a floppy disk, but the laptops dont have those drives... I tried to copy the files onto a CD, but no luck it would not work. They all have XP, #1 set has SP2, #2 set has SP1, so what do I do???? Please any suggestions would be great!!!!

Advertisements

RyanT

RyanT

• Pip
  • 3 posts
this may not help and I know I am not a Geek to go as I am on here with my own problems...but in with my home networking experience it sounds like you may not have your computers set to automatically obtain IP addresses etc.. to do this click on the network connection probably named "local area connection" then find in the box "internet protocol (TCP/IP)" highlight this and click properties then make sure both boxes are set to obtain addresses automatically...if they are I appologize as I may be of no more help to you but if not this may be the problem...good luck

Ryan