Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Telephone Knocks out Wireless?

• Please log in to reply

hellican

hellican

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just to query anyone's thinking caps...

I have a wireless router connected for my internet access to two desktop pcs. It is a wireless router hooked up to a cable modem. The problem is, is that when a call on my cordless telephone comes in, it knocks out my wireless service for the duration of the call. When i make a call, it doesn't seem to interfere...

odd, isn't it?

I am assuming that they both use the same frequency, and my dumb luck picked two that use the same, however i'm not sure,

i was wondering if anyone else heard of this or had a similar problem..

i'm stumped..

thanks in advance...

Regards,

James

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It is a common issue. There are many phones now which are listed as being ok for wireless networks.

I would suspect that the phone is picking between a list of freqs. that it can use and I would guess that it is doing it differently when the the base unit starts the communication vs. the handset.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just change the channel your router is using, i use channel 12 or 13 as most phones dont use it but its Europe only hose channels so you may want to try going into the lower channels eg 5 or 6, it depends on the phone look up your phone on the internet you will be able to find its operating channel, as long as they are on different channels wireless phones and wireless internet work fine.

hellican

hellican

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well at least i know i'm not alone...

It makes sense that the phones are becoming compatible with the wireless routers, but umm..

how do i change the channel? Do i need to do it on the router itself, or the pci card?

oh and do i have to connect the router to my pc again? (because that was rather time consuming considering, i would have to run fifty feet of coaxial cable )

I have the linksys Compact Wireless -G, and their compatible pci card...

Further assistance will help.

Thanks for your patience..

Regards,

James