Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home network

• Please log in to reply

RyanT

RyanT

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

If you cannot tell I am a new user but not new to the computer scene. I am a college student who has just come home for winter break and I was attempting to set a home network up so I can use the internet on all computers(only 2 right now but soon to be 3). My home computer or my mothers would be a good way to describe it has the DSL modem hooked up using USB connection it is a speedstream 5200 part number 060-E240-058. This connection works on my moms computer as she can surf the internet normally. I have then hooked my moms computer to a Linksys 4-port router with the model number NR041 which is also connected to my computer. I can access the network using my computer but not the internet(I can see my moms shared files etc..., and she can see mine) but I cannot access the internet. I have tried to right click on the connections and click "share internet connection" but when I do that my moms computer will no longer be able to access the internet. If you need any information please feel free to ask as I will check back as often as possible. Thank you in advance for any help.

Ryan

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
WHy are you trying to share the USB modem internet connection in this way?

Assuming this router has the ability to connect to the Internet on its own, why not just configure that with the internet username and password and then let let the two computers talk to that?

RyanT

RyanT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
they way that our house is set up we only have one ethernet cable ran to our downstairs(through the walls and [bleep]) and the modem and main computer are both upstairs so I figured I could have the internet connection set up on the upstairs computer and shared( we used to do it all the time when we had dial up) but for some reason it just wont let me....