Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Drive Not recognized

• Please log in to reply

konan53

konan53

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am building an ECS N2U400-A with 500 meg of RAM. This is my first exposure to a SATA drive. After some initial problems getting the system to post , I replaced the PSU and it booted up perfectly confirming that I had a floppy drive and a CD burner however it fails to recognize my SATA drive even after I set the CMOS to auto detect.

The SATA drive is connected to the SATA 1 connector on the mobo and is powered off the PSU .
I am using the ultra DMA (blue) connector on th mobo and the corresponding cable to connect the CD burner , there is no device on the secondary IDE connector.

The drive is a 80Gig Western Digital

Of course I knew nothing about SATa drive so I am also surprise to find out that I cannot use a Raid feature because I only have one drive.

Looking for some help in getting this drive to register so that I can load XP and use it like an ATA drive.

Thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you should have either some floppy disks with the SATA drivers on them or you should have cd you can take the drivers from and put then onto a floppy drive. Then you stick the XP cd in it will boot to it and when it says press F6 to install (its somethinglike additional drivers or sata drivers i cant remember which it is exactly) you hit the button then load the floppy or floppies in to load the drivers for your sata controllers.

Well you cant have an array of anything with less than one of something, the definition of raid requires more than one disk. Not like another magicallly appears when you want to use RAID, not worth trying really, next time you build a system you should research new parts 15 minutes of research would have avoided the entire problem.

konan53

konan53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the tip and your comments are "right on the mark" I cannot disagree with with your conclusion. My drive was OEM which means it did not come in a box and quite often as in this case the retailer failed to supply me with the CD. Havent seen software on floppies lately

Are you saying if my drivers are on a CD I need to transfer them to a floppy?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The drivers you need to install the hdd are supplied by the motherboard manufactuer because it is they who supply the controller that the drive connect to, they sometimes are on a floppy that came with the motherboard or they are on the cd that came with the board.

If they are on the cd you have to get them on a floppy so put the mobo cd in another computer and look for sata drivers on it then open the sata drivers folder, there should be a "read me" it will explain what file to copy to a floppy for installing the drive and some instuctions.

The first time it is confussing but once you do it it ain't that bad.

Try this and if you still can't figuar it out I maybe abe to find the driver for you on the board manufactuers website. and guide you thru it.

Rick