Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Error Code c0000269

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have registered into this form because it helped me fix my problem and I hope I can do a better job of explaining the problem and how to "fix" it.

The problem: If you do a XP update after upgrading to SP2 you get error code c0000269 and your computer WILL NOT boot and you can not repair the problem, or do a System Restore.
When this 1st happened to me all I would see was a 1/3 second flash of a blue screen with some message I could not read at all.

So the 1st problem was to find out what the message was. Research here and elsewhere led to that problem being XP's automatic restart. So to even read the mesage I had to completely reinstall XP and then turn automatic restart off!! I recomend you do this on your XP install NOW. Go to System Properties(that's where the Device Manager is). Then Advanced- System Startup - Settings - uncheck Automatically restart. I don't have any idea why one would want XP to automaticly restart?!

So here's the message;stop: C0000269 [llegal system dll relocation] the system dll kernel32.dll was relocated in memory. the application will not run. the relocation occurred because the dll c:\windows\system32\gdi32.dll occupied an address range reserve for windows system dlls. the vendor supplying the dll shou(Not sure if this is one word or S hou) %s %s

What to do now?

Here's what I did
!. Format C: and reinstall XP (Do not try to repair it won't work)
2. Do Windows Update
You now should have an SP1 XP installation that is up to date, but we want SP2. So
3. Go to Windows download and install SP2 DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL FROM A CD!!!
4. Do update on SP2 and you are done.
This worked for me and I am sure it will for you and now you will be able to keep you security and drivers up to date!

The problem apparently is that the CDs aren't up to date and have missing files.
Once you have the error message your C: drive is toast! There is a tutorial somewher on how to get your data off you HD but there is no way to save your istalled programs or OS. This is why you should NEVER keep data on the C: drive. I would also install all programs on another Drive also, but many do like it and don't work well off the C: drive.
If anyone knows how to avoid a reinstall please let me know.
I think this is better that just not updating XP.
This problem is not due to M$ trying to "get" those using illeagle software.
One of the tricks I got from all of this was to do a Ghost of my C: drive to another HD(they are cheep!!)before updating. That way when you crash you just plug it in, format your original C: drive and Ghost your sys back onto it.

I hope this helps.

Edited by dsneed, 18 December 2005 - 09:13 PM.