Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

power supply bad?

• Please log in to reply

smith4vols

smith4vols

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I took what had been our "family" computer and set it up just for my kids to use. It has been unplugged for a couple of weeks and now it will not always power up totally. If I just hit the power button, one CD drive light will come on and stay on, the fans always run, the activity light will come on a second or two then go off and it will not send any signal to the monitor. If I reset the power strip it is plugged into and turn the strip back on quickly most times it will power up then, but not always. Tried different power strip, cpu power switch- same results.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Most likely it is a bad power supply but it is hard to tell for sure without swaping in a known good one, so before you run out and purchase a new one it would be a good idea to try another one if possible.

This sometimes could be other things like a mobo but I would start by trouble shooting the psu.

It is possible to test the psu if you have a digital volt meter but sometimes if the psu is flaky (fluctuating voltages) this is inconclusive so its best to try anther.

Rick

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
If the machine has been moved about, try pushing down (gently) on the CPU, memory and boards to make sure that they are seated well. It might not solve the problem, but at least it is free to try it :-). It does sound like it could be the power supply though.

smith4vols

smith4vols

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried pushing on connections when I changed the switch. Could it just be a bad setting in CMOS? Can you walk me through getting into CMOS in right place to check this? All I remember is "DEL" at startup.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Did you push down on the CPU? Do you have a reset button on your machine? If so, have you tried to see if pushing that has any effect?

In order to get into setup, you need the machine to work, which it is not doing. Some machines are different, but many you press "DEL" when it is going through the startup tests.

Based on your quickly turning the power off, then on, it does suggest that the power supply is bad.

smith4vols

smith4vols

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I got into setup (F1) on my cpu changed one of the power settings, the unit will power up now. Don't remember what I switched right now. At least it wasn't the power supply.

Thanks to all for your input.