Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Service Pack

• Please log in to reply

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi All

Thanks to Keiths wonderful help :tazz: , i managed to successfully install XP and reformat my computer. Unfortunately as always seems to be the case with me I have another obstacle in my way :) . I wanted to install the service pack mainly to protect my laptop against the sasser virus. I put the the program 1& 2 on a cd when i press it to install it it extracts all the files, reaches the point where it tells me to back my files and asks me if I wish to archive them or not then I put yes and it begins to install but reaches after a few seconds a point and it stops go any further even after leaving it for few hours :) . Hopefully you might have an answer for why this problem is occuring.

Thank you in advance
And hope to hear from you soon :woot:
Cheers

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What did you put on a CD

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I put the program onto a cd from my main computer burnt the cd and put it on my laptop. the laptop is the one Im trying to install it on.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
So you have two XP CD's one installed on the desktop and one on the laptop, why don't you run Microsoft Update to install the service packs

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No no no u misunderstood me. Basically on my laptop there is nothing just freshly reformatted. I now installed the net and windows has been activated. But the problem was there before I even aded these things before activating windows or putting the net. Now Im trying and it still freezes.

Its on my main computer that I got the service pack from the microsoft website. Download it from there (the service pack program that is) and then burnt the program on a cd using nero then placed the service pack on the desktop of my laptop and pressed to download it from there. By the way my XP cd doesnt have the service packs on it thats why I downloaded them from the net using my main computer etc...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
OK, but if the laptop connects then you might as well download direct from Microsoft Update

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Run this, which you can download onto the desktop then on to the laptop if it does not connect

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with (without an internet connection if applicable) an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC)After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there

Keith before I get on with what you have asked me to do. I spoke to a friend and what he seems to say to me is that although I used the boot disk what he seems to tell me is that I have just reinstalled XP and not reformatted the laptop. And that my drive must be damaged. What do you think about this. Is he just talking rubbish or is the case. thank you for your kind help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It would say which one do you want to log on to

If during the format you saw a yellow bar going from 0 through 100% then it rebooted and ran set up, you did fine

Check it against this guide, look at the graphics to check it went like that

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

vlakarmis

vlakarmis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

OK, but if the laptop connects then you might as well download direct from Microsoft Update

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Run this, which you can download onto the desktop then on to the laptop if it does not connect

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with (without an internet connection if applicable) an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC)After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Hi there keith I am clicked start then run and typed sfc/ scannow and enter (all this with the XP cd in the drive) but even here it freezes after a bit and the progress bar doesnt move except slight;y and stops.

What do I do thank you very much