Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Safely Remove Hardware

• Please log in to reply

suzee

suzee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

I have a question regarding the safely remove hardware utility. I know that we should not click "Stop" in the safely remove hardware window with the usb mass storage device selected. doing so will remove the operating system recognition of the mem card reader from my pc. sometimes, my small sis does forget and keep doing this mistake.. but everytime i restart the pc, we are able to see the memory card reader again..

But.... recently.. after restarting, my card readers still won't appear. (mine is an internal card reader - comes with the cpu when i bought it..) the puzzling thing is, when i do not plug in my usb wire, the safely remove hardware utility will be shown on the bottom right hand corner. (this happens without having anything to remove from the cpu) and when i click "Stop", obviously the card readers will be gone. when i insert back the usb wire, all my card readers are gone, my pc doesn't recognize that i've inserted a usb wire (say, to transf mp3 from my mp3 player to the pc) and the safely remove utility is also not shown. as such, i can't do any transfer from my usb slot.

my card readers will only be recognized and "visible" (under "my computers") when the USB wire is not plugged in. if i plug it in, my card readers will be gone (under "my computers") is there anything wrong with the hardware? i've tried going to Device Manager and checking on the status of the USB ports.. they all seem to say that "this device is working properly". I can't find any fault. PLEASE HELP. I need to transfer files from my usb to my pc.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Safely Removal Hardware – Card Reader
19th Dec 2005

A few questions -

(mine is an internal card reader - comes with the cpu when i bought it..) the puzzling thing is, when i do not plug in my usb wire, the safely remove hardware utility will be shown on the bottom right hand corner.

What do you mean – Came with CPU ?? –

CPU – (Central Processing Unit) The computing part of the computer. Also called the "processor," it is made up of the control unit and ALU. A personal computer CPU is a single microprocessor chip. A minicomputer CPU is contained on one or more printed circuit boards. A mainframe CPU is made up of several boards.

If Card Reader is an [Internal] Device – Then the unit is probably connected via of [Internal USB] Port – On the Motherboard – No external USB cable required -

I Do not know what you mean when you talk about connecting [USB Wire] with respect to [Internal Reader]

Notes on Card Readers –

[Device Manager] treats [Card Readers] as [Mass Storage Device] – When you Insert a [Card] – It is the same as if you inserted a [Disk] into your drive – To safely remove – Use the [Software Eject] Mode –

1- Open [My Computer]
2- Right Click on the [Highlighted] Card Reader Drive –
3- Click [Eject] on Pop up Menu –
4- Now you can remove [Card] from Reader

To place an [Icon] on your Desktop:

1- Open [My Computer]
2- Right Click on Drive that you want on [Desktop]
3- Click on [Create Shortcut] –
4- Click on [Yes] – Message will pop up [Do you want a shortcut on Desktop]

Then all you have to do would be – Right Click this [Icon] & then Click [Eject] when you want to remove Card from Reader –

When Windows starts up – There should be an [Unplug or Eject Hardware] Icon on [Start Menu Tray] at bottom of [Display Screen] – You can use this to eject – when removing Card from Reader –

For External Card Readers – This Icon will appear when Connecting USB Cable to Reader -

Now you have to be [Careful] – when [Plugging In] – The [Card] into the Reader – You want to do a [Positive] Connection – Not a [Shaky] Connection – where you get a [Connection] – [Disconnect] [Reconnect] – This will be the same as [Proper Connection] & [Improper Disconnect] & cause your [Hardware] to [Not Be Recognized] by [Device Manager] & to disappear from [My Computer] – TRY NOT TO BOUNCE CONNECTION – You just have to [Practice] to obtain the [Proper Touch] when [Plugging In] the Card -

If you have [Zip Drives] – or – [CD Drives] – You should use the [Software Eject] also – instead of the [Hardware Eject] – The OS will select the proper ejection time –

Try practicing this & post back if you need more help – I think this should help with problem – It is easier to explain this with a visual media –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 28 December 2005 - 09:43 AM.

suzee

suzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi..

Apologies. I shouldn't have said "it came with the cpu". what im trying to say is, my pc has a built-in (or do u say "internal"?) memory card reader. its a 7-in-1 card reader..so there's like MMC, SD, MS, MS-Pro card slots on my cpu.

the problem i'm having is, i can't see these card readers when i go to "my computer". normally, when i click on "my computer", it will display my hard drives, and "devices with removable storage". Under devices with removable storage, it will then list my floppy drive, cd rom drive, MMC/SD/MS drives etc.

recently, these drives (MMC/SD etc) will only be listed whenever i do not plug in anything in my USB slot. But when i do, (eg: i want to transfer my mp3 songs, so i have to plug in my usb into the usb slot, right?) the drives i mentioned will automatically disappear. This is the first problem.

Secondly, when i plug in the wire into the usb slot, (eg: to transfer mp3) nothing will pop up to prompt me to select what to do. (eg: open folder, open with windows media etc.) basically, my usb slot doesn't seem to work.

And thirdly, when i do plug in my usb, the safely remove hardware utility at the bottom right hand corner (where all the active icons are) will automatically disappear too. (plus, i can't see the drives for my removable storage, MMC/SD etc.) Only, when i unplug the USB from its slot, will i be able to see my removable storage drives. And the safely remove hardware utility will auto appear once again at the bottom right hand and prompting me to safely remove it. (when i've indeed removed it) Its like, the safely remove thingy is working backwards. I remove USB --> it appears. I insert USB ---> it disappears.

I know what u mean when u say u don't understand what USB slots have to do with internal readers. But that's the whole problem i'm having. If i need to use the MMC slot, I have to unplug the USB. If i plug, my MMC drive will disappear. If i need to use USB, i can't see the MMC drive, cos by plugging in the USB, my removable drives will disappear.

I really hope you can understand what i'm trying to say. =(

thanks for the help again.

[quote name='Jack123' date='Dec 19 2005, 07:08 PM' post='488996']
Safely Removal Hardware – Card Reader
19th Dec 2005

A few questions -
What do you mean – Came with CPU ?? –

CPU – (Central Processing Unit) The computing part of the computer. Also called the "processor," it is made up of the control unit and ALU. A personal computer CPU is a single microprocessor chip. A minicomputer CPU is contained on one or more printed circuit boards. A mainframe CPU is made up of several boards.

If Card Reader is an [Internal] Device – Then the unit is probably connected via of [Internal USB] Port – On the Motherboard – No external USB cable required -

I Do not know what you mean when you talk about connecting [USB Wire] with respect to [Internal Reader]

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Safely Removal Hardware – Card Reader –(2)
20th Dec 2005

Ok – A few questions about your USB Devices –

1- How many USB Ports do you have on your PC–
2- List all [USB Devices] that you have – such as [Mouse] – [Drives] – [HUBS] – [Printer]
3- Do you [Normally] keep your MP3 Player connected to a USB Port
4- What [Card Media] do you use on your [7 – 1 Card Reader] – [MMC] – [SD] – [MS]

Keep MP3 Player Disconnected -

1- Does the [Card Reader] & [Safe Power Utility] seem to function when you [Boot UP PC] without MP3 Player plugged into a USB Port –

2- Are the [Drives] recognized by [Device Manager] & [My Computer]

3- Can you [Plug in] a [Memory Media Card] and read it with [Windows Explorer]

4- Then can you [Eject] by [Right Click] the [Drive] and Click on [Eject] – Then remove [Card] without upsetting your OS

Post back
Jack123