Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive not showing in my comp' or device manager

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and the cd is on the end right?

ok...now look at the back of both drives (you will probably have to take them out...so...remember where they were..)...next to the ribbon cable...there should be a bank of pins...usually in vertical sets of two (::::: something like that)....now...across two of those pins there should be a plastic doodad (:::[:]: something like that)....somewhere on the drive itself...usually underneath or above the pins and etched into the metal or on a sticer...there should be some letters (CS, MS (or MSTR), and SL (or SV or SLV)...on both the cdrom and the dvd...what locaction is the jumper on each drive? (also....before pulling the drives out...make sure that ribbon cable is firmly plugged in...it's possible while installing the new cdrom..you may have nocked the cable out of the dvd drive..and it slowly wiggled out)

Advertisements

carlpix

carlpix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
the jumper is plugged into the master on both cd and dvd....ahhh i think u might of solved it....just looked at my old one and the jumber on the old cd is plugged into slave. should i swap it???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....the jumper on whatever drive is at the very end of the cable...should be master...and the one hooked in the middle should be slave.....

carlpix

carlpix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
you bl**dy genious......its there in 'my computer' now so i suppose it will work now thanxs alot....yep it does cheers. and i though jumpers were what u got for xmas.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
heheh....jumpers are what you get for christmas.....only if your family hates you....hehehe...glad we could get it to work...sorry it took so long...but troubleshooting things in a non-real time environment is difficult....congratulations on your hard work!

Crypton

Crypton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) Had the same problem after adding a new dvd drive, read this forum and got it sorted in 10 min's. Brilliant info, Cheers. :)