Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yearly Maintenance

• Please log in to reply

BInarY

BInarY

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I do a once a year clean install of windows and an interrior cleaning of my computer. I was wondering on whats the best way to clean the dust out and if there is anything else i can do to keep my computer running smooth.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I use the hose from my hoover but you are supposed to use a compressed air canister. You can get the canister from your local computer shop. You need to remove or immobilise all fans in the system before you use either hoover or compressed air, the air spins the fans and can damage them. Best to just remove them and clean them seperatley, a bit of something like anti static furniture polish on fans after you have cleaned them can keep the dust off a bit longer, use a soft dry cloth for that.

Dont use a duster inside the PC or you will get static and killl the computer, you have to be very careful about static when working inside a PC and taek the proper precautions.

If you want to prevent dust build up dont keep your computer on the floor.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 December 2005 - 10:16 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should honestly make that routine a monthly schedule instead of yearly...it's a lot easier to clean out a month's worth of dust...than a year's worth

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not the windows reinstall you dont want to do that monthly, well you might but i wouldnt reccomend it. Cleaning out the pc regualrly is much easier if you do it every month or couple of months.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hahaha...yeah that's what i meant...the cleaning....reinstalling the os once a month is a little excessive