Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win2000 Recovery disk

• Please log in to reply

bgc197

bgc197

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
can I make a win2000 recovery diskette on a working pc and use it on another pc to try and correct a start up issue?
My win2000 pc boots up all the way to the desk top. The mouse is moveable. when mouse is moved into the task bar the hour glass appears. I move the mouse out of the task bar and the pointer returns but nothiing happens when I left or right click. ctrl\alt\dlt brings up task manager but shows no applications running. Again the pointer moves but is unresponsive to left or right clicks. Waiting for up to 20minutes does not change symptoms. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

physician

physician

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

can I make a win2000 recovery diskette on a working pc and use it on another pc to try and correct a start up issue?
My win2000 pc boots up all the way to the desk top. The mouse is moveable. when mouse is moved into the task bar the hour glass appears. I move the mouse out of the task bar and the pointer returns but nothiing happens when I left or right click. ctrl\alt\dlt brings up task manager but shows no applications running. Again the pointer moves but is unresponsive to left or right clicks. Waiting for up to 20minutes does not change symptoms. Can anyone help me?

Welcome to G2G.
I havent heard of this but wonder if this could be a spyware issue. You might check out the Malware forum, download and install the hijack this app there and someone will look at it. Follow the instructions that are clearly marked there for first time posters and Merry Christmas...doc

bgc197

bgc197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
the mouse pointer moves but i cannot access anything. it is stuck on desktop. I cannot load any programs.
This is why i am asking about creating a recovery disk from a working pc to use on this frozen one. will the recovery disk work????

physician

physician

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

the mouse pointer moves but i cannot access anything. it is stuck on desktop. I cannot load any programs.
This is why i am asking about creating a recovery disk from a working pc to use on this frozen one. will the recovery disk work????

Do you have the original disk? If so, you could try a fast repair...doc

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what happens if you start the machine in safe mode? does it make any difference?

bgc197

bgc197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No I do not have the original disk it was misplaced during the hurricane move. My stuff is a bit scattered.

It acts the same in safe mode; boots all the way up to desk top, mouse pointer moves but it does not accept a click on any thing, move the mouse to the bottom of screen on to the task bar and it is busy as if something is still trying to open up.
I ghosted the original drive, than put in 2000 cd in original drive and booted up into repair a windows installation, R and than R again for manual repair, than F for fast repair; during the repair it halted several times on files and i pressed esc which skipped the files. This has allowed the pc to boot all the way up.
I removed multiple hijackers, viruses,adware and spyware. Every thing seemed to work. Except: now I cannot click into any search engine bar. (Google- i cannot type into the search bar. MSN is the same). I can
type into the url bar.Wierd Uh! I guess it must be the files i skipped. I planned On re cloning back to the original state and trying something different. Any thoghts or suggestions? HELP me form a game plan.
A bit more backround: This is a workstaion. The server was overwelmed with pop ups. I removed
multiple hijackers, viruse's, adware,and spyware and put it back into service. It has been working 8 hours now. The network is 1 server 2000 and 2 work stations 2000 pro. I check the 2nd workstation it only had 4 virus'e and some adware spyware junk.It is also back in use back in use. Thank you for your time and help

physician

physician

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

No I do not have the original disk it was misplaced during the hurricane move. My stuff is a bit scattered.

It acts the same in safe mode; boots all the way up to desk top, mouse pointer moves but it does not accept a click on any thing, move the mouse to the bottom of screen on to the task bar and it is busy as if something is still trying to open up.
I ghosted the original drive, than put in 2000 cd in original drive and booted up into repair a windows installation, R and than R again for manual repair, than F for fast repair; during the repair it halted several times on files and i pressed esc which skipped the files. This has allowed the pc to boot all the way up.
I removed multiple hijackers, viruses,adware and spyware. Every thing seemed to work. Except: now I cannot click into any search engine bar. (Google- i cannot type into the search bar. MSN is the same). I can
type into the url bar.Wierd Uh! I guess it must be the files i skipped. I planned On re cloning back to the original state and trying something different. Any thoghts or suggestions? HELP me form a game plan.
A bit more backround: This is a workstaion. The server was overwelmed with pop ups. I removed
multiple hijackers, viruse's, adware,and spyware and put it back into service. It has been working 8 hours now. The network is 1 server 2000 and 2 work stations 2000 pro. I check the 2nd workstation it only had 4 virus'e and some adware spyware junk.It is also back in use back in use. Thank you for your time and help

I wonder if you could make a boot disk from somewhere like bootdisk.com and then boot off it. Win2K will boot from a disk easily. If you did that then the mouse should work. then you could try the hijack this route or other things like uninstalling/reinstalling the mouse. I'm guessing you've been hijacked especially after your last post. See what dsenette thinks too - thats your real expert...doc

bgc197

bgc197

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I think I got it.
I followed the instructions on submitting a hijack this log, and submitted the log. This cleared off a lot of junk but, my problem remained.
I reloaded IE6 and reloaded the updates. This corrected it. I than ran SFC.EXE. It seems to be OK now
Thank You for your time...BGC197