Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Low Profile Video Card

• Please log in to reply

Huntean

Huntean

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Any suggestions welcome on upgrading my video card to run Battlefield 2 and other memory hungry games. Problem is that I have a mini-tower case with a limited power supply and will only accept low profile cards.

System: Dell Dimension 4600c Pentium 4
Video Card Slot: AGP 8X low profile
RAM: 2Gb

Currently has Nvidia Geforce 64Mb card but this will not run battlefield 2.

Ideally like a 256Mb card but maybe a 128Mb card will do it.

A mini-tower seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I realize that upgrading is tough ...

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya, not many people know much about the low profile and your lucky that I know abit of info.

It is going to be very hard to find you a card that will fit in that tiny case which is a pain and for it to be able to play battlefield 2 also.

Naz-T

Naz-T

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
just out of interest i play bf2 on my dell 4600i
with 128 megabite geforce fx5200

its enough to blast around fast enough on internet version but my settings are all set lowest which doesnt spoil the game play, but the detail when you see it on better settings is very nice!!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I found you a faster card than the fx 5200 and the 9600 se and it come with everything huntean.

I looked and looked for along time, I knew there was something better and faster.

http://www.wegotdeal...ID=4452&RefID=F

Edited by jrm20, 19 December 2005 - 02:42 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

just out of interest i play bf2 on my dell 4600i
with 128 megabite geforce fx5200

its enough to blast around fast enough on internet version but my settings are all set lowest which doesnt spoil the game play, but the detail when you see it on better settings is very nice!!

He needs a low profile video card that is a special design which is slimmer that normal.

I did see a few fx5200 low profile but I wouldnt get it because for alittle more you can get around twice the speed.

Im suprised that the fx 5200 would even play battlefield 2 lmao.

Edited by jrm20, 19 December 2005 - 02:43 PM.

Huntean

Huntean

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
JRM20 - What is your sugeestion, no details in your response.

Another website recommended the Jaton GeForce FX5200 128Mb DDR AGP 8X video card with VGA and low profile bracket.

Anybody have any thoughts on this idea?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I wouldnt get the fx 5200 it is almost unplayable everything on low detail really blows. You dont have much choice in that small case you have.

Go for the fx 5200 low profile if you dont feel like upgrading your pc.

Edited by jrm20, 19 December 2005 - 02:10 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I found you a card huntean which is faster than both talked about above.

nVidia GeForce 6200 256MB agp with the low profile bracket - *very rare*

http://www.wegotdeal...ID=4452&RefID=F

the fx 5200 has 250 MHz core speed, 200 MHz memory speed and is 6.40 GB/s (gigabytes per second) which is the Memory Bandwidth. That is quite slow for this day in time lol.

the NVidia GeForce 6200 256 MB DDR AGP Video Card is 500 MHz core speed, 275 MHz memory speed and is 8.00 GB/s.

The 6200 is a newer card and is quite abit faster and is worth the extra.

It is compatible with battlefield 2 and it came out after the game was released.

Edited by jrm20, 19 December 2005 - 02:52 PM.

Naz-T

Naz-T

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
see below results of above mentioned geforce card in low and medium settings - biggest differance is the shadows but does look crisper, however lagged like [bleep] lol

on low settings first
Posted Image

medium settings
Posted Image

wot do ya think lol

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL, doesnt look that great. When you turned up the graphics it got real choppy almost unplayable see what I mean..

LOL

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Respond to your personal message Huntean:

Looks great, I was hoping I could do better than a FX5200.

Not clear in the technical specs, does this card require a separate power supply. Is this something to worry about? Dell originally told me that you cannot upgrade the video card and that a more powerful card might overlaod the power supply. I think they just want to sell a new PC!

Also what is the difference between DVI and VGA output, do they both work as well as each othre? I think that my current card is configured for DVI output.

Any comments would be helpful

The 6200 wont take any more power that the 5200 would. No it doesnt require a seperate power dongle for the video card lol. It just plugs right in.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you see joe the game normally looks you know how really rubbsih that it, the gameplay isnt even the best on BF2, people buy it cause it looks good most of the time so you would kinda be missing out.

Naz-T

Naz-T

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
sorry to hijak but on subject - would be really nice if someone could put a screen shot similar on there using a uptodate graphics card please??

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
i dont have the game lol.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ill stick one on if i can get it to work again. (I was playing special forces but its kinda finnicky wether it works.