Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error on page and runtime sytax errors

• Please log in to reply

Fan

Fan

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I am running xp Pro sp2 with all updates that I know of. I keep getting "error on page, done, but with error on page and runtime error, syntax errors". This is when I open pages in Internet Explorer and MSN instant messenger. It also renders some links inoperative in websites. I checked my security tab and all scripting blocks are checked. Can someone recommend a solution for me. Thanks, Fan

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This may not be your computer at fault. Here is a site on script errors.

http://msdn.microsof...tml/sdbug_7.asp

It could be that your IE needs some vb script updating to see the webpages. It also could be the webpages are using java scripts and you need to update your java to a newer version.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=308260

It might be that your security settings are too high for some websites. You can try lowering the settings and see if the same webpages load ok. Personally there are too many bad vb scripts floating around the internet so i use firefox, and just dont go to websites that use a lot of vb scripts.

SRX660

Fan

Fan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the help. I do have the newest Java installed which is v1.5. I also have it enabled and I get errors on everything that has a java script.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You could try disabling the option which displays all script errors. To do this:

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. In the menu at the top, click on Tools > Internet Options.

3. Click on the Advanced tab.

4. Under the catagory of Browsing, UNcheck the option called Display a notification about every script error.

That should stop the messages for ya. :tazz:

Fan

Fan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you Computerwiz12890, but that box is unchecked. Strange!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Go to the same place and check Disable Script Debugging. See if that helps.

Fan

Fan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you Computerwiz12890, that worked. If I may I will ask another question? I receive at the bottom left of my MIE or Firefox screen javascript errors like "error on page" or "done, but with errors on page". Do you have a solution for that? Thanks for your help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Those messages are basically the same as the boxes that were popping up, except it doesn't get in your way. There's nothing you can do about it. Those errors are errors in the website itself.

Fan

Fan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks again Computerwiz12890. I really appreciate the help. However, the javascript errors show up on every site I visit that has javascript. I now cannot open MIE also. I am using Firefox.

Fan

Fan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I am also told by the Java Console in the Control Panel that I might not have sufficient permissions to change the browser in either IE or Firefox. Can I gain permission?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That's rather strange. It sounds like you may have caught an infection. What anti-virus and anti-spyware programs do you use?

Fan

Fan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I use NOD32 anti-virus and Webroot Spy Sweeper spyware and firewall. I am running a scan on both right now.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Alrighty. Post the results when the scans are complete. I'll be busy tomorrow, so I'll return Friday to see the results.

Fan

Fan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for your help again! I appreciate the support!