Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card problems

• Please log in to reply

Sikmachine

Sikmachine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,
Everytime that I play Counter-Strike on my computer, I can get about 5-7 minutes of playing in before my computer will freeze up and repeat like 2 seconds of sound that was going on before the freeze, it will continue to do this for about 2 minutes then restart itself. When it comes back on I get a message saying:
"Computer restarted after an unexpected shutdown. Microsoft Windows detected a possible device failure."
"The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update."
I have the latest update for my card (Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT) which is old, yes but it should be able to play the game. I just opened up my PC and cleaned off the fan and most of the interior which was covered with dust and dirt. Please tell me if you have any ideas as to what the problem is.

Thanks,
~Joe

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Maybe it was overheating from the dust build up, if not post back but include your full system specs and list your temps and voltages if possible.

Rick

Sikmachine

Sikmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It's not overheating, I've just cleaned all the fans off and such today. Would you be able to tell me how to find out my temps and voltages?
system specs:
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.70GHz
RAM: 256MB
Hardrive: 40Gigs
Display Driver: 3D Prophet 4000XT

Hope that helps:
~Joe

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You could use Everest
its free, download and install, the when in Everest open my computer and click on sensor for voltage and temp readings.

Is this a custom build or name brand computer? If name brand post the manufactuer and model number

You could also try and remove and reinstall the video drivers.

Sikmachine

Sikmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
it's custom built, about 4 years ago
Motherboard: 54-56C
CPU: 34C
CPU Core Voltage: 1.71V
+2.5V: 3.09V
+3.3V: 3.07V
+5V: 5.48V
+12V: 13.12V
VBAT Battery: 3.22V

Also, I don't know how to remove/reinstall, is there any guides?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update."

I remember reading a artical about this, I will see if I can find it for you, but in laymans terms it means the driver gets stuck in a endless loop and then the video card is unable to process any more information the result is the system freezes or crashes to the desktop. This is the fault of the driver but if you have the latest there ain't much you can do but I would check for any updates for the game to see if they help.

I think there are also some settings in bios that you can sometimes turn off to help, I will look around a bit and get back to you but maybe someone else who knows will respond.

Sikmachine

Sikmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I remember reading a artical about this, I will see if I can find it for you, but in laymans terms it means the driver gets stuck in a endless loop and then the video card is unable to process any more information the result is the system freezes or crashes to the desktop. This is the fault of the driver but if you have the latest there ain't much you can do but I would check for any updates for the game to see if they help.

I think there are also some settings in bios that you can sometimes turn off to help, I will look around a bit and get back to you but maybe someone else who knows will respond.

Thanks a ton :tazz: it really helps!
~Joe

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am going to have to let someone else that is familar with that game respond, in looking at the specs for your video card and your system in general I don't think its cabable of playing that game very well.

There are some gamers in here and video card experts they will know.

sorry I could not be of much help

Rick

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Your cpu speed is fine but more memory would help alot. 256mb ram is enough to actually play the game but 512mb I would recommend for that game.

The video card you have is the problem, that thing is old lol. If you did get a new good video card either nvidia or ati it would have no problems. I think it is your current video card in general, the drivers might be bad also and not stable for counterstrike.

I really would spend money on a new ati or nvidia decent card and all your problems will be gone.

You need more memory also a 512 mb stick would be fine.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you want to be able to play your game your going to need to upgrade the video card for shure asap.

Memory is the next thing and is a must. You need to get atleast a 256 mb stick of ram soon. A 512 mb stick is not much more at all and you might as well get that.

If you want to be able to play the game list a budget on a video card that I can find for you.

Tell me what video card slot you have agp or just regular pci.

post back if you decide.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Thanks for the help jrm20, good job

Sikmachine

Sikmachine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts