Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

cpu speeds..dumb question !

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
am looking at getting a laptop to use as a recording workstation. I will be running cubase sx3 recording software which has a preffered system requirment of 2.8ghz.
My desktop is only a 1.4ghz but has 2gig ram and 200gb hdd and seems to run the programme quite well, but for space saving and just a general upgrade ( i may use a dual boot system on the laptop--1 for internet etc,,and 1 for cubase alone), i would like a laptop.
Now,,, i am getting a little confused with some of the cpu specs on the more recent computers and laptops.

1 of the laptops i am loking at is an Acer. Now ,,it has an AMD Sempron 3000 cpu,, but is only described in the spec as a 1.8ghz speed., although i am being led to beleive that it is actually more than 3 ghz,,,
Do you see my confusion ?????? can anyone shed any light on this,,,please,,,

If i do get a laptop,,,i will be spending maybe £550 - £750 for a used model, so it " MUST ", have a minimum cpu speed of 3.2ghz or more. Memory and hard drive size are not really an issue as cubase demands less of these things, but proccessor is very important. i can always add more ram or get a hdd upgrade if need be, at a later date.
I have also been led to beleive that all laptops come with only space for 1 hdd, which is a bit of a [bleep] really as i would like to run 2 drives if i carry on thinking about dual booting the system. I dont really want to get into partitioning drives. Another potential cop out may be hdd speed. Again i have been led to beleive that most laptops only have disc speeds of 4200 or 5400 as a genral rule, although 7200 drives are available at a price.
It would be a shame to get an expensive laptop with all that i require, only to find out that its discs read speed is slowing down programs that require fast access.

So,, as you can probably tell,,,,i dont have a clue what i am doing really, and whenever i have come to this edge of despair i have always found solice in shouting my ignorant mouth off on here,, and always getting good advice to help me in my decesion making.

C,mon folks,,,, help me out.

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 3000+ is intel equivalent speed rating so it will be equivalent to the intel model nearest comparison at that speed, so a 3ghz celeron for example would be comparable. Laptop speeds are generally lower these days beacause laptop chips are designed to run at lower speed but have a bigger cache and greater efficiency, but if you are running software that demanding and its multimedia you want athlon or a p4 or pM. You would be better saving your money a bit more and getting a more expensive laptop laptop because you will be really lucky to find a laptop that fits your needs with that budget.

You could more easily put a desktop together that would suit you for that money but laptops are a strugle to get at that price at any decent spec let alone one that needs enough juice to run a high end media software.

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
the processor will not handle the needs. most laptops only do have space for one harddrive. and most run 5400 speed. i think you should save and get a p4 or pM. also worry about a nice video card to.