Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat external hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

Boyo

Boyo

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I just recently installed a Teac 80GB external hard drive, running XP SP2 Home, to back up some important files. Installing it was easy, so after backing up my files, I just let things run. Then I saw an article on the Internet regarding FAT32 and NTFS. My internal 110GB hard drive is in NTFS, while my TEAC external 80GB hard drive is FAT32. So far I have used 25GB on the external hard drive. I read that the NTFS is a superior choice to FAT32, and it is also a safer environment. Should I reformat my external hard drive to NTFS, or leave things as they are??? Also, will I lose all of my files if I reformat the external hard drive??? I am lost, please guide me……

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, NTFS is better than FAT32, but if you plan to move the disk to other systems which do not understand NTFS, then FAT32 is better as it is more compatable.

Yes, if you reformat your disk you will lose all the data that is on it. There could be a program to convert the filesystem, but I am not sure and I would not trust it without a backup. You could copy your files to your main disk, reformat and then copy the files back. Another option is to create a CD, if you have a burner.

I would use NTFS over Fat32 is compatibility is not an issue.

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Okay, NTFS is better and I will not be using the external hard drive with any other computer than my own. So I will reformat the drive.

Question: Can I create and name one folder on my external hard drive, put all of my files into this one new folder, then transfer that folder to my internal hard drive while I reformat the external??? Then just transfer that same folder back to the external hard drive once the reformatting is completed????

Also: Exactly how do you reformat a hard drive?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes you can make one folder and transfer it, it will take a while to do it, easiest way is to right click the drive in my computer and select format it will do it. Its also not essential to switch over to NTFS it is better but its nothing hugely majorly better, and FAT32 is handy if you ever want ot move the drive or use LINUX its a nice option to have especially on an external drive otherwise you are as well taking the dirve out the enclosure and putting it inside the pc.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 December 2005 - 05:46 PM.

Boyo

Boyo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Thank you. That is a very convincing point. Leaving my external hard drive in FAT32 gives me more options to use it with other computers or systems. Formatting it to NTFS will render it as useful as an internal hard drive……Point taken, and I will leave well enough alone…..Thanks again for the advice.