Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IPOD HLEP ASAP

• Please log in to reply

funnyboy0138

funnyboy0138

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey wats up
i have a huge probelm that i would likeASAPon my new 30gb ipod it wont let me put vids in. i try dragging them in and it says they cant be played on my ipod
i used mpeg version of the video. What shoupld i do help PLEASE ASAP

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the tutorial then post back if you have a problem or get error messages

http://www.apple.com...tarted_t12.html

funnyboy0138

funnyboy0138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
tryed that
it said that my video could not be played on this ipod
ASAP
it is mpeg
does teh resolution count or....
help ASAP

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What video content works with iTunes and iPod?
iTunes:
Video content purchased from the iTunes Music Store.
QuickTime and MPEG-4 movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player.
Video podcasts.
iPod:
Video content purchased from the iTunes Music Store.
Videos that have been converted for iPod with QuickTime 7 Pro using the Creating Video for iPod tutorial.
Videos that have been converted for iPod with iMovie, Final Cut Pro, and others. Click here for an iMovie HD tutorial.
Video Podcasts that have been converted for iPod

Does the video need to be encoded in a special way?
iPod can play the following video formats:

H.264
File formats: .m4v, .mp4, and .mov
Video: Up to 768 kbits/sec, 320 x 240, 30 frames per second (fps), Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3.
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, and stereo audio.

MPEG-4
Video: Up to 2.5 Mbits/sec, 480 x 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile.
Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, stereo audio.

Check the file you have is within their spec for import to the iPod

funnyboy0138

funnyboy0138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
the vids work on the video section of itunes for my library but no for ipod

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

You must convert your mpg video to one of those formats first.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

There is a free encoding program that users seem to like here that can take most video formats and encode to the proper format to work on a video iPod. The Program is "Videora Ipod Converter" and the link is below:

http://www.videora.c...Converter/iPod/

The program appears very easy to use and looks to have a bice GUI.

Cheers,
Tom

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
theres a good program called PQ DVD to iPod Video, you could try downloading a trial version of that to convert your video files to the right format, but it does take a while depending on the file, also i wouldnt recommend doing too many things at once while your converting, just begin the convert and leave your computer for half hour to an hour and see how everything goes

cheezdoodle17

cheezdoodle17

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i'm having a similar problem. i downloaded the videora converter and i used it to convert my videos from .avi format (i think) and some from .mov format to .mp4 format. Then in itunes i click file, then add file to library, and then i click on one of the converted videos and nothing happens...it won't add the converted video to itunes. i've also tried dragging and adding the entire folder, but nothing happens :tazz:
So how do I add the converted .mp4 format videos to my itunes library and then to my ipod?

also, i have some videos in quicktime format (i think .mov) that were uploaded videos from my regular digital camera (uploaded off of a picture card into quicktime format). Those will import to itunes but they won't transfer to my video ipod, i get an error message that says that they aren't in the right format for my ipod to read.

can you help me get all of my videos first onto itunes and then onto my ipod? thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It seems Quick Time Pro is the solution to this, though you can get a trial version of another converter here

http://www.cucusoft.com/