Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secured Partition

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hey, me again.

Trying to make it so a partition cant be modified by windows too easily, a hidden partition.

I've tried using the registry, with the NoDrives and NoViewOnDrive DWORD values, but it isnt producing the results I require.

I want to hide, and SEAL the partition, so that it can't be modified or deleted unless I specifically go there, and turn off those sealing features manually, etc etc.

I'm sure it can be done. I've seen it before, I just dont know how.

I want to set up my friends computer with a partition like that, for him to stash his backup images, and make it so they cant be deleted or tampered, say by a virus.

I've aquired a few viruses to test my workings on, of course testing my theories through VMWare, not on my computer ( using the sp0rkeh virus, dangerous stuff :tazz: )

Ok so I'm rambling on now. What do you think?

Edited by Vaillant, 19 December 2005 - 08:29 PM.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
There are very few virueses that will attack and damage a file, I asked the experts about it once. There is a greater chance that the hard drive will die or something like that.

There are some programs that do it such as Partition Magic.

The best idea is to burn the backups to CD/DVDs, that is what I do, that is what I thing you should do.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Norton Ghost is capable of doing this, basically making the partition unseeable in Windows outside of Disk Management (which then won't have anything to do with said partition).

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
mmm no I checked that already.

Yesterday put one of my partitions on hidden, with pqmagic

Then tried to see the partition with ghost, but no show.

Actually that's the problem I'm facing now. Partition's hidden, and survived the virus i spoke about ( it deletes everything on the harddrive )

However, i couldnt see the hidden partition, and booting with the ghost CD, no way I can use pqmagic to make it visible again, unless i reinstall windows, pqmagic, unhide it, THEN i have access to the drive..

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
With pgmagic you can make two flopies that you can boot from and you can hide/unhide and do just about any thing else to your partitions. Have you tryed that? This will need a floppy drive so I hope yours is not one of the newer computers with out one.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Thanks everyone for the reply...

I found a solution to this last night at 2am...

Made myself a bootable CD with floppy image, with the command gdisk on it ( gdisk is norton's utility, included in ghost, to manipulate partitions. It includes the hide and unhide functions i needed. )

I will also try the pqmagic disks, it never crossed my mind.

Thanks all for the replys.