Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Freezing Problems, can't defrag

• Please log in to reply

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My computer keeps freezing shortly after boot-up, and I can't run disk defrag because the program says I don't have enough memory and I need to close some programs. It won't even run in safe mode. I thought this was odd since I have more than six hundred megs of RAM on my 98 SE. That in its self could be a problem since most people seem to think 98 SE shouldn't be running more than 512 megs of RAM. I disabled all the unnescessary start-up programs, and that helped for a while, but now it has started freezing again.

Also before it started freezing I noticed the system chugging to the point where the computer would freeze for a few minutes at a time. I have also noticed before the computer started freezing that Medal of Honor Allied Allied Assult won't work on my computer due to Open GL problems. So I installed a driver from scitec to try and fix it.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Win98 may not like the fact that there is more than 512megs installed in your system.

Do this...
Search your machine for your system.ini file and add this line under the [VCACHE] section :
MaxFileCache=524288

Make sure you don't change anything else in the system.ini file and make sure you type exactly what you see bolded above.

Save the file and reboot. Then try defragging again.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Regarding your RAM question, the general consensus seems to indicate 512Meg as Makai says but, like you, I have more (733Meg recognised) and my system is good.

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The edit to the system.ini file worked pretty well. My computer booted up just fine, with no freezing or lagging. However, my hard drive (80 Gb IDE, 7200 RPM) still won't defrag.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Regarding your RAM question, the general consensus seems to indicate 512Meg as Makai says but, like you, I have more (733Meg recognised) and my system is good.

Yah, it depends I guess. I run a dual boot machine and 1gig of ram. The win98 side sometimes runs, sometimes not. Setting the sys.ini helps it to not worry about the other 512megs and no problems after that.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

The edit to the system.ini file worked pretty well. My computer booted up just fine, with no freezing or lagging. However, my hard drive (80 Gb IDE, 7200 RPM) still won't defrag.

Have you try running scandisk? What about system file checker?

Go to Start/run... type in scandisk

After that's done, go to Start/run... type in sfc
In the the System file checker window, check for altered files. You may need your win98 disk.

Edited by makai, 20 December 2005 - 01:50 PM.

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I ran the scan and found a corrupt file and fixed it. However, I still can't run disk defrag. I have no idea what's going on. Also I can't run scan disk from accesories/system tools or from run/scandisk.

Edited by Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja, 20 December 2005 - 11:09 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Your machine is broken! :tazz:

I've attached the Scandisk app. See if you can run it on your machine.

Edited by makai, 21 December 2005 - 07:54 AM.

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I still can't run scan disk. I think the problem is that the OS and the data on the computer have been through multiple hard drives and a data recovery. I've been thinking about putting a new OS on here, but I don't want to try and run XP on my old system. What about 2K? How system intensive is it? Or maybe I should stick with 98 SE and just reformat?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you have Win98 disc, you can reinstall right over the top. This is called a "dirty install", but it should fix your problems. The good thing is that the install won't destroy any programs or data. HOWEVER, it is recommended that you back up any data before you run it. Just pop the Win98 in the CDROM, double click on Setup on the CD and Win98 will reinstall right over itself.

Most any Win98 machine can run Win2k no problem. Running XP will depend on your hardware. However it's not that strict. I have a Compaq laptop, P3, 700mhz, 768 megs of ram running XP no problem. I only use it for word processing... no games.