Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 Operating systems!

• Please log in to reply

sean1234

sean1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have two drives C: and D:. I dont understand what you mean. Im using another computer to go on the internet. I cant even get into a windows xp. It says I have to register and that is a screwed up file of XP. Your right the options message doesnt come up, but the computer is loading the wrong copy of XP. HELP!

Advertisements

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Which hard drive do you boot to? The C:\ or D:\ ? Which one has Windows XP installed? Where is Windows currently installed on this computer?

B

Edited by Besttechie, 06 February 2005 - 01:13 AM.

sean1234

sean1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Drive C:\

sean1234

sean1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Alright, in order for me to get A windows xp going I rebooted into SAFE MODE with the busted copy. I re-added these:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\DATA="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

so now the three options are back but at least I can boot into the good copy. What do I do now?

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Ok, this is what I want you to do. Btw, sorry about the confusion.

When you boot-up which one do you select to boot into the good version of Windows? The top one? middle one? or bottom one? Let me know which is the good version.

B

Edited by Besttechie, 06 February 2005 - 01:51 AM.

sean1234

sean1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
The middle one.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Ok, I should have asked that question in the first place, that was my mistake. Once again, sorry, about that. Now, you say the one in the middle works. Ok, Now I am going to have you remove these two lines. Make sure you leave the middle line alone! That is the line you want to keep. Now, the reason I know this because, it shows them in the order they are listed in the boot.ini, therefore you want to remove these two lines.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\DATA="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Make sure you leave the middle line! That is the line in the boot.ini you want to keep. Only remove the two lines I listed. Then save it, and reboot.

Hope that fixes the problem.

B

Edited by Besttechie, 06 February 2005 - 02:15 AM.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Hi,

After talking to a few people we decided the best thing to probably do is repartition your hard drive. Now, the reason is because the system is seeing 3 OS's on the disk, which means you have three copies of the same OS on there, taking up space on your hard drive. Check out this site to learn how to do a clean install.

How to do a Windows XP clean install
Step by Step directions showing you how to do a clean install of XP.
Note: If you can you might want to print out the directions from that site so you can follow them.

Hope that helps.

B

Edited by Besttechie, 06 February 2005 - 08:48 AM.

sean1234

sean1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
OK. I do that.
Thanks.

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts