Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Freezing

• Please log in to reply

allan123

allan123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have never had a problem like this before and i really have no idea on how to fix it, i play a lot of games on my computer, but the games i have recently installed, i.e fear and dawn of war winter assault, keep freezing on start up, so when i click on the games .exe the computer just freezes, and i cannot do anything other that reset it. but this does not always happen sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, its just luck of the draw it would seem, so i cant understand as the problem is not even consistent. I have updated all my drivers for graphics the lot and it still does it. i dont know if this is at all relevent, when it does finally start, Fear also freezers during game play but if you wait for about 30 second, it will unfreeze and let you continue.

My computer is high spec and it exceeds all the recommended systme requirements for the games

Any help would be much appreciated

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. When you updated the driver for the graphics card, did you do a cleanup with Driver Cleaner prior to installing the new driver?

allan123

allan123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply, and the answer to your question was, no.

as it happens this all started to happen when i installed the new nvidia graphics drivers for my cards, as the game required them, as it was throwing back a "spool" error or something installed the new drivers now the game works off and on as mentioned, all early games on my system like COD work perfectly.

So where do get this driver cleaner???

Thanks again for the reply and welcoming me to geeks to go

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

I have a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB and I actually found that omega drivers work better than the ATI Catalyst drivers that I could download. I played BF2 with both the Catalyst and Omega and I actually found less jumpiness to the Omega drivers. My friend didn't notice any difference, but you never know. You might want to try Omega drivers as it might fix your problem and improve your game performance. They work with ATI and Nvidia cards.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/