Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[RESOLVED] trojan downloader

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bradstacey

bradstacey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well, it seems like the virus problem is resolved, but im still having a problem with norton not being able to update common client updates due to a non-renamable, non-deleteable, in us by program file called 'ccweb.dll.' is this problem related to the virus? i havent been able to receive any live updates due to this cc update being uninstallable. any tips, please?

also let me say thanks for helping me with the virus.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
bradstacey... Can you please ZIP that file, ccweb.dll, and send it to mpfeif101 at cox dot net (replace at and dot with the obvious signs)

bradstacey

bradstacey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i guess the file was called ccwebwnd.dll, not sure why i was typing it wrong, sorry.
i found a solution from a websearch where it said to rename the file, then do the updates, and i hadnt been able to do this until just now... i did the rename after a reboot, before trying the update. there must have been a bug in the update which caused the file to run continuously even after update had been shut down. well, im about to restart the computer after the succesful update. wish me luck.

bradstacey

bradstacey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well, it looks like it finally worked. after a reboot, i changed the name of ccwebwnd.dll to ccwebwnddllbak.dll. THEN i ran the update. norton successfully update common client updates, and prompted me to restart. before restarting, i restored the name to its original name, since i noticed that the update did not create a new ccwebwnd. i then restarted, ran live update again. it downloaded common client updates a second time, successfully.
i ran live update a third time, and received confirmation that my norton product was up to date. so far so good.
hopefully i wont have to come back here whining for a while!

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
K, if you need more help, just post :tazz: