Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slave drive confused

• Please log in to reply

Majin

Majin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have a odd problem, i am running xp home on a hp with a 30 gb harddrive. I have another 30 gb harddrive from a previous couputer that will not load past the loading screen because it needs windows reinstalled and i do not have a system disk for that one. So i thought i would use that hard drive as a slave hard drive. Please assist, where should i go from here? I have already plugged it into my slave part of my jumper and windows just wont load. Is there something in bios i should change? Or should i format the slave drive? if so how would i do that?

Edited by Majin, 20 December 2005 - 05:20 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you change the jumper on the drive you moved from the non-working computer? On the working computer, the hard drive jumper should be set to master, and the drive you're adding must have it's jumper set to slave. Look on both drives near the IDE cable and you will see a little two-pin jumper. Make sure the jumper is placed in the correct spot for each drive.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Make sure the jumper on the hd is set to slave, and that the master hd is set to master with slave present.

Majin

Majin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i see exactly what your saying on the drives, a set of 4x2 prongs with a extra prong and a cap on the first two top and bottom. which should it be set on for a slave drive and a master drive?

1 2 3 4 5
' : : : :

The cap is on the #2 slot of the slave currently.

Edited by Majin, 20 December 2005 - 08:01 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
On the drive itself, there should be a diagram. Or you can visit the drive manufactures website for info on how to set the jumper.

Majin

Majin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thats awsome, its in and great, however when i went to format the drive it went for a while and said it could not complete the formatting of the drive and then it disappeared off the my computer screen all together. Any suggestions?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Restart the computer and try to format the slave drive again. Do you know what file system the computer is running? Is it the same for the slave drive?

Majin

Majin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yea the one i am running now is ntfs, and i am trying to format it as ntfs.

Majin

Majin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
should i do the full format or the quick format?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Always do full format.

Majin

Majin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wow its working great, thank you guys very very much. Is there any suggestions you have for someone who hasnt had a master and slave drive before?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Wow its working great, thank you guys very very much. Is there any suggestions you have for someone who hasnt had a master and slave drive before?

You're welcome! :) Advice? Yah... just have fun with the extra room you now have! :tazz:

Take care!!