Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! New Gateway and Problems.

• Please log in to reply

bug2

bug2

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am a total novice, so be gentle.

I purchased a new Gateway Dual with WIndows XP Home. I installed on dial up AOL Limited top speed, which came in the computer. I have contacted Gateway support and they have given me several things to do and none worked, plus they are confusing for a novice.

First, when I click off AOL, the computer restarts. At first it wasn't all the time, but now it almost is. AOL files updating comes on after each time too.
They told me to update the driver and uninstall AOL and reinstall. My system has system recovery built in, so I only had to go to Application and driver recovery. I did this and it still would restart after closing AOL. Then this popped up. Mhotkey.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the incovenience. If you were in the middle of something it may be lost. Also, once failed to load Fixlet site. BigFix unsubscribing from site.

Gateway told me to run a disk check and didn't tell me how, I figured it out. I had to restart my computer to do it.
I did and when it came back on, mHotkey was still there. This is frustrating since this is a new computer.
Please help in as simple terms as possible. Thank you.

Advertisements

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
The tech just emailed me again from Gateway and told me to perform a Full System Recovery with backup and gave me instructions. That means all the anit spyware I put in, Adaware, Spybot, Microsoft Antispyware, CCleaner, AVG and all the games I downloaded will be gone. This is frustrating Why does this happen?

Should I do this. He said disconnect all internet connections. Aaargh!

Now on the bottom of my taskbar, the little AOL symbol is clear and it says AOL-not connected, but I am on the internet.

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
After I did the disk check, the problem with closing AOL and the computer restarting has stopped. I went and uncheck mHotkey and that quit coming up. However, doesn't that prevent all the keys on my wireless keyboard from functioning. Why would that mHotkey come up on startup anyway and is there anyway to fix it without having to uncheck it?

Also the little box that comes up on my taskbar for the wireless keyboard and mouse has 1, A, down arrow underlined, keyboard, mouse. The 1, mouse and keyboard have a green light under them, the A and arrow do not, they are grey underneath. What do the 1, A, and arrow represent and why are the A and arrow not lit. Is something not functioning?

Also I am on the internet, but the little AOL symbol on my taskbar says not connected when I run my cursor over it?

This is confusing, especially with a new computer. Thanks.