Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Online ping blips when using wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

nathanb

nathanb

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have my desk top and laptop setup to use my DLink router which connects through bt broadband i have no problems with them both connecting to the internet but when i start playing games my desk top keeps getting a regular high ping the lap top dsoes not even when both are on same game same time i did expect a drop in ping but why is the desk top pinging out at 999 every 2mins or so annoying when you have someone in ur sights to shoot!!!

what is happening?
I am noob so need to talk through anything.

any other details you need i will post.

nathanb

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
You'd have to look at the differences between the laptop and the desktop; ie: firewalls. Or, do you have up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware applications on both computers, and have you recently scanned?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you playing the same game on both machine's online? as in..you're playing counterstrike online on the laptop...and your buddy is playing counterstrike on the desktop...and you're both connected to the same online server?

nathanb

nathanb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi guys

In reply to first reply i am currently sorting out a load of malware on my desktop so i am hoping that that could be reason. So as soon as all the clean up is finished i will know i am hoping as that will solve the problem.

in reply to second reply it happens on same game/same time /same server even if i host with just me and friend. The desk top just keeps pinging while the laptop doesnt it started as soon as i set up my wireless network. Once they were all connected the first thing i tried was cod uo with friend and i got the spikping on the desk top.

b dont worry for the moment as i got some cleanup to do.

thanks for replies

and Merry Christmas

nathanb

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
continue with y our ceanup...that may help.....the reason i asked..is because when you have two computers on the same internet connection...connecting to the same game server...at the same time...the game server usually assumes you're running a "ghost" version...or a bot....and they'll kick one of your machines off the server....alot of times...they'll ping you out....now if you're just doing a LAN game...that's another story and will need more research

nathanb

nathanb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi i have completed my cleanup but i still get the high ping blips. I dont notice it whilst on the internet but mainly playing COD or WolfET AvP and other fps games. I have been able to use both machines on same server the desk top always pings. It still pings when it is the only one on online.
A couple of times i couldnt get certain games to work but that was due to me using same liscence on 2 machines and it was picked up on and couldnt play need second copy. I would aprreciate any advice.

I am going skiing so a may not reply for 8 days or so.

merry christmas

nathanb

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
When you're experiencing the high pings, minimize and go to Start, Run, type CMD, and then perform a Trace route by typing: Tracert the server you're currently connected to - ie: Tracert 68.92.1.3
Once that has completed, please post the results here by right-clicking on the window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing Ctrl+C, and then post the results here by pressing ctrl+v.

nathanb

nathanb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi ya i am back from skiing and have tried what you said whilst playing cod2
but i dont think it worked heres what happened

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nathan>tracert 62.75.221.30:21015
Unable to resolve target system name 62.75.221.30:21015.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nathan>

C:\Documents and Settings\Nathan>

nathanb

happy new year

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Welcome back nathanb.

Please make sure that you entered the right IP...

The next time you're experiencing lag on the game, please do the following:
Goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: PATHPING 62.75.221.30:21015 (Ensure that this IP Address is correct...) - please copy and paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing Ctrl+C. Please post the results here.

Whilst experiencing lag, also do: Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: PATHPING Yahoo.com

Along with this, attempt to do the two above commands at random intervals (ie: when you aren't experiencing lag).

Thanks,
Dan.

nathanb

nathanb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi again its good to be back but still wish i was on holiday!

i tried what you said but still get the message as before unable to resolve target system name ip

i tried several servers on 2 different games

i keep getting mcafee firewall asking to allow or block
c;\windows\system32\savlp13n.exe it still comes up if i allow or block but i dont think that has anything to do with high ping.

yesterday my brother came up with his laptop and joined my network with no problems we both played medal of honour and i kept getting 999 ping every 4 5 mins or so.

nathanb

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
nathanb,

Can you please make sure that you do not have any Malware installed on your computer by posting a HijackThis log here.

I'd say that your software firewall is hindering your game play(have you opened the appropriate ports?); however, I would not recommend disabling it (for testing purposes) until after you have gotten the all clear from the Malware Removalists.

Did you recieve that error message even when you tried to pathping Yahoo.com?