Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help, upload probs

• Please log in to reply

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey hey, i have a personal server from my ISP. It allows me to hold 10mb of personal stuff. I want to use it for uni and stuff because i need an FTP to connnect to it, Also i want my friends to be able to upload pics and stuff as well. So i was thinking of having an upload page. However i dont have the coding abilities to do that, so i thought i would come here =D. Anyone knows how to write an upload page??

Thanks for anyhelp!!

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Most ISPs wont allow such things on free pages. If you have an open upload directory, then someone with bad intentions can access it, upload something that shouldnt be there, then comprimise the server using the bad file. Especially if its a windoze server.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey thanks for the reply. Ummm is there anyway i can find out for sure i cant do it?? Like is there a test or certain property? Also the server is running on a UNIX system. I understand where you are coming from, however i and a few friends will be the only one using it, also couldnt i password protect that page?
Thanks.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You asked for ASP people, ASP runs on windows systems. PHP runs on unix boxes.

You could do a .htaccess file and password protect the folder. I guess before we can help youll have to specify which scripting language you need.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Ntd

Ntd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Ah thanks! Didnt know that =D. Guess i'll Look for a PHP upload code! Thanks