Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SWG and new graphics card

• Please log in to reply

ash_j

ash_j

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey!

I'm currently playing SWG (Boo! i know!!) but am suffering with lag at the moment, i think this is down to an aging graphics card, i have a Geforce 5600 i think of the top of my head, can anyone recommend a better one in the region of £50-100?

Cheers!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well do you have an agp port available? if not then there isn't much point in upgrading your video card.

ash_j

ash_j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes there is an AGP port available

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well I would go for something like a nvidia geforce 6600. checked amazon uk and they had one for £84. I'm sure that there are some better places for you to check at.

ash_j

ash_j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok thanks, will have a look! What are the things to look out for when buying a new graphics card? i.e the best features?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
making sure you buy the right form factore... agp or pci-express. In your case agp. at least 128 megs ram of onboard video memory (256 prefered). and always buy the fastest you can afford.

you would have to look up your system specs. depends on how old your system is. If you only have 4x agp then I wouldn't go over a 6600. if its agp then I would look for a 6800. it may be slightly more than you intended to spend.

we use http://www.alexnolan...are/sysspec.htm as a handy tool to look up your system specs.

thanks,
Starjax

ash_j

ash_j

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Cheers will have a look later on!