Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ftp help

• Please log in to reply

hellerooo

hellerooo

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi

Can anybody out there help me with an ftp question please????

I have purchased ftpx to upload my new site. When I uploaded the original site it only appreared on the internet the next day. I assumed it was because I was doing something wrong.
I have just uploaded my new, updated website but my old one is still showing. Am I being completely thick? Does it take a while for things to update, or should it all update immediately?

By the way, I am a complete novice, so I apologise if this question is stupid!!!!

Thanks

Helen

Advertisements

TheBrotherhood313

TheBrotherhood313

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hmm, well normally with FTP it should automaticly update as soon as you overwrite the old files.
Are you sure you are uploading the new files to the right folder? There should be public_html and thats where your main page is, for example: www.geekstogo.com. Anything at that link should be in your public_html folder.
Im not 100% sure what your doing wrong so its hard to tell, but it should update as soon as you upload the files with the new info.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
have you tried refreshing the page?

hellerooo

hellerooo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I called the hosting company, they said it was because I had named the file Index1 instead of Index (I didn't realise!!)

Anyway, all sorted now!

Thank you for your help though.

Helen

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Capital letters in web addresses are evil. You should stay away from them if at all possible.

ScHwErV :tazz: