Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot Drive Not detected

• Please log in to reply

crjonny

crjonny

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im looking for help with a harddrive issue.

Im working on my dell inspiron8600 yesterday when it went black and said not boot disk detected.
I checked the Bios, not hard drive detected
I checked the diagnostics, same result.

Next i reseated the drive and ran through all of the above troubleshooting , nothing has changed.

Before the problem started i wasnt doing anything but checkijng email. I didnt hear anything strange, not clickig or grinding.

Could this be the board instead of the drive?
If it is the drive, are there any other ways to recover the data then getting blackmailed by one of these recovery companies. I just got a quote of $1500 - $4500.

Any help or Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
as long as it's not a catasrophic drive failure..you should be able to hook the drive up as a slave in another machine and transfer the filles off of it...(just the files..no programs)...

if bios isn't detecting the drive..i would say that it's either the drive or the board..

how is the drive jumpered? are all the cables tight?

crjonny

crjonny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Because it is a laptop there are no cables or jumpers, i simply just slide it in. Im about to go and get an IDE connector so i can place it as a slave on a desktop.

God i hope it is the board.