Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dlink internet router problem

• Please log in to reply

tht

tht

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
heylo, im trying to set up a wireless network with a new dlink wireless router.
the first (of what i doubt will be the last...) problem is that when it connects to the internet, it connects for a maximum of 10 seconds, then cuts out and reconnects...i cant keep a solid connection.

This is confusing the [bleep] out of me and making me regret parting with serious cash :tazz:

Any things to check over? obviously i've done the obvious; stuff like triple-checking passwords...

tia.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does the router loose connection to the internet? or the computer connected to the router? does the modem connection terminate? or just the router to the modem?

cute baby by teh way

tht

tht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
im not sure, i guess the router is losing the connection but i have no idea in all honesty :tazz:

btw, the baby is me...19 years ago [obviously :) ]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
OK...we're gonna try some stuff here...

first if you can...connect your computer directly to the modem..and see if the connection still disconnects..let me know how it goes and we'll go to step 2

(the monkey was me 23 years ago...I've since learned how to type on a keyboard, have entered a rigorous and painful regimen of waxing to take care of the body hair, and i am very close the ridding myself of that pesky "poop flinging" habit)

tht

tht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
that works fine, im posting this from my laptop...so it must be working ok :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....now...connect the router back up to the modem...and connect your computer directly to the router....same scenario...does it stay connected?

tht

tht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
its not possible for me to connect the modem to the router.

the modem is a usb speedtouch, and only has usb out and phoneline in..thats all

the router on the other hand does have phoneline in.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....is this a broadband connection? adsl or cable?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...what model of dlink router is it?

tht

tht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
adsl connection and the router is a DLink DSL-G624M

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a-HA!...it's not a router...it's a routermodem....that makes a little more sense...oook....so plug the dllink into the phone line...and connect your computer directly to it...and try to connect to the internet that way...see what happens

tht

tht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
it connects to the internet for a few seconds,the connection then drops and it attempts to connect again...then repeats that forever and ever and ever and ever and...

btw, i know this by looking at the status of the adsl connection in 192.168.1.1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...so when you log into the dlink's management interface...you can see the connection dropping?

can you plug the adsl modem back in and check the ip configuration of it....does it aquire an ip statically or dynamically (DHCP)...check this within the modem's config page

tht

tht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
yeah, i can see the connection dropping and its also displayed in the logfile.

and the modem is configurated with DHCP

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....so...the adsl modem...works like a charm...but it's decidedly not wireless....the wirless modem/router...keeps dropping the connection...

have you tried calling your isp to see if your modem/router is compatible with their service?