Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply

Brilliant Ken

Brilliant Ken

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there! I have just gotten for myself a new external hard disk, but am still confused over some issues with it. Windows does recognize it alright, but the drive does not appear in My Computer. I understand that partitioning and formatting is necessary before being able to use a new hard disk, but I am totally lost and confused. Partition first, then format? What software can I use? (freeware preferably) Can I use fdisk? My drive is 160GB in size.
Thank you for enlightening.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You need to partition the disk before you can "format" it. It used to be that formatting the disk applied to the whole disk, but M$ warped that term to mean creating the filesystem.

fdisk no longer exists in XP, there is a disk management tool, which is hard to find. You can use the help page to find it. I created a link on the desktop because I got annoyed. I normally use Linux, so I can not post how to find it right now.

There are versions of Linux that you can also use (Knoppix, DSL OS, etc.), but since you are running XP, it makes sense to use the tools there.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if windows recognizes it..you can check in diskmanager (right click my computer > manage > disk manager) if the drive shows up there..you can format it..partition it and mark it as active...also....if this is an external drive that you purchased as an external drive (as in....all one unit bought from the store this way...not an enclosure and a seperate drive that you put together)....if it needed to be formatted and partitioned...they should have sent a disk with it to accomplish this task