Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i need help setting up a wireless home network

• Please log in to reply

ihardy

ihardy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
what Equipment would i need i know the 2 pcs have a ethernet card...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wireless router would be handy I reckon :tazz:

You may be able to have one with a combined modem in it as well for internet.

ihardy

ihardy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
yeh that would be handy any1 know a gd wireless router with a modem and a firewall combined

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I know 2wire makes some decent ones for dsl that act as a dsl modem, wireless, and a router. I bet they also have one for cable modems.

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I have never seen one that was modem, router, and firewall. There are a few modems & routers..... but firewalls is a software program... not hardware. Usually when you start a high speed connection, they give you the modem you will use. I would check into that before you go and buy a modem. Some ISP's require you that you use their modem and only their modem.

Once you find out wiether you have to use theirs, 2wire does make one, I cant speak for the quality, as I personally use lynksis.... thats my 2 cents!

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
firewalls can be hardware(cisco makes a killing with their pix, which is a firewall) and most routers act as firewalls. Your linksys router is a firewall, if you have that up, there is usually no need for a software firewall

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
True, routers are a firewall , so to speak. However I would never trust that as my only protection... ZoneAlarm has a GREAT firewall that I personally Use!

I belive that this is the link to it... but double check it :tazz:

ZoneLabs

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
To me, if someone can get past a linksys router they can easily get past a software firewall. The only reason I don't like software firewalls is b/c they always seem to hose my computer for some reason... though I have been having some luck with Blackice on my laptop.