Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AZESEARCH Toolbar (Removal?)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Minx

Minx

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi all

I somehow installed a very annoying toolbar which now runs inconjunction with IE. It is called AZESEARCH. I ran Ad-aware in the hope it would rid itself and it hasn't, I have also done a search on my pc and all it finds is it in the IE history.

Anyone know how I can get rid of the pesky thing? :mad:

Thanks in advance,

Advertisements

mille

mille

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Minx, your problem,just run Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE it is freeware if you hav'nt got it. I had the same problem and it cured it.Hope this helps.
Mille.

Minx

Minx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi Mille

Thanks for your reply, but Ad-aware has drawn a blank at resolving the problem, it's still there.

Any other suggestions peeps?

Minx

Minx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Determined not to be beat, I installed Spybot and ran it - problem solved.....just incase anyone else is having a problem ridding themselves of it. :tazz:

DJ Moonshine

DJ Moonshine

• Pip
  • 7 posts
GRRR... this tool bar is annoying.. i downloaded.. the spybot and the other thing and spy bouncer and nothing works its still there.. now what can i do.. if i was to reinstall windows will that get rid of the problem?.... someone please help me.. :tazz:

Eratosthenes

Eratosthenes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
_REF__01_Super_clark_large.jpg :beer: ;) I posted another reply on here for someone who had a problem with a toolbar, in another area of the forum. My prob. ( embarisingly ) was with this sinister place called CoolWWWSearch & the infamous AZESearch (s***)bar toolbar garbage. Call it exactly what it is. It stems off of an ActiveX Control , & was named ZToolbar Module before it becomes a real pain as an AZESearch toolbar file that you can't seem to get rid of. It's sort of hard to type a post & explain how to rid yourself of it, but I will attempt it in a few posts. :woot:

{ this can take a long time, but done right, after a few attempts by me, it does work! I had to fight it for at least 1.5 days. }

1st off, you will need to get Spybot Search & Destroy & Spyware Blaster (latest version ). They are free, & be sure to run updates on them first. &, also, CWShredder. 2nd, is go to : http://housecall.tre.../start_corp.asp &/or http://www.symantec.com, or both sites, & run , yes, a virus scan from the free scans on those sites. Your problem is with what is called Dialers & Adware + Hijackers that take your browser & put other junk on your comp. & I used , from Google, AVG antivirus, FREE Download. Run AVG also, to double check the listings, + remove all virus, if any, from your system. You should see a list of dialers & adware appear also on the check. Exam. IE Access2.dll ( Dialer Target ). There are some removal tools @ Symantec. for Dialers & Adware. + Instructions, but I found an easier way to take care of it. But, use the removal-tool from Symantec, Adware180Search. Exam. C:\Windows\Isnmh.exe. was an Adware180Search on my system.
You will need to manually delete some files. C:\windows\system32\Dialer Offline.dll (Dialer StripPlayer). for a good example. There was also, C:\windows\sideb.exe (Adware Elite Bar B) C:\windows\Application Data\jzxchhlb.dll (Adware.Lop) C:\windows\Temp\targetsaver.exe (Adware TargetSaver) C:\Windows\Temp\289783634.dll (Adware Elitebar). I went in & deleted all but one of these files. the Adware180Search one. If you want to manually do this before running safe mode, you can, but be careful. But don't delete all those just yet. Depending on your operating system or windows version, you need to, after you run the virus check with AVG or whichever, use Spybot & Spyware Blaster, w/ CWShredder. Then, after this, run your comp in SAFE MODE.
(look for instuctions online on how to run your ver. of Win in safe mode - - Win ME , for exam. You go to control panel, & select system, performance, file system & then troubleshooting , & check the box that says Disable System Restore.. Then, go to Start, then RUN ,& type msconfig. Select Advanced & put a check in the Enable Start Menu box. then reboot, & when windows loads press F8 to access safe mode.) (You will need to undo all these steps , to reboot back out of safe mode. That means to be sure the Enable Start menu box is unchecked again, & the system restore in control panel/system/performance/ file system - troubleshooting, & the disable system restore box is unchecked, to turn system restore back on, before you reboot again.) :cheers:
:help: Don't worry , these steps are long but simple to use. :help:

When you are in Safe Mode: :no:
Again, run antivirus.After the antivirus check is finished, then use the symantec tool to remove the adware180search. Then, still in safe mode, run spybot-search&destroy, spyware blaster, & cwshredder. After those, then go to the listed folders above & delete all the files in those system folders. If there are any left. Like I said, I deleted most of them before I ran safe mode. :thumbsup:
(Just be cautious as to what you are deleteing, you may cause damage, & have to run restore configuration or reinstall windows again.)
Run a search to find any related AZESearch files & delete them as well. Then turn off safe mode, putting system restore back on & the rest , back to the normal windows configuration, but before you reboot? :help: You will also find a list of favorite links in your favorites folder. Now is a good time to *Delete* all of the ones they added, too. :cheers: + go to Control Panel , & select Internet Options, & for your homepage ,set it back. Exam. http://www.google.com/. Click Apply & ok. Now reboot the comp. out of safe mode. :tazz:
After a few attempts & determined to get my system adware, dialer, virus, hijcaker free of this AZESearch toolbar & other junk, it finally worked, & got rid of it 98%. I still have a few touch ups to get rid of the remnants, but it's not on my browser anymore, & I have full control of my comp. again. Doing it this way, turns off Windows explorer, so you don't get that Cannot delete file, windows is using it - etc. :help:
You do this right, & it should work, & hope this helps ppll. Take care.

Eratosthenes

Eratosthenes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need to edit what I have posted. lol srry if that sounds confusing or you have trouble following my instructions. you tinker enough with it, you'll get the idea. Someone with Tech. skills would understand how to do it, some prob. better then I. 8)

venom54

venom54

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I'm no computer brain but i had the same problem 2 days ago and i found a small exicutable which did the job in removing the AZEseach tool bar very well. this is also covered in the :-

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

http://www.merijn.org/

Cheers

Ren

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi everyone,

I would like to see a HijackThis log from someone who has this toolbar.

I expect to find this line in your log:
O2 - BHO: ZToolbar Activator Class - {FFF5092F-7172-4018-827B-FA5868FB0478} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\azesearch.ocx

Maybe fixing that line will be enough. If not have a look here:
http://securityrespo...e.mwsearch.html

Regards,

Pieter

These M^gIC Hands

These M^gIC Hands

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I AM USING WINDOWS 2000 PRO! it might not work on other OSs'.
XP = too automated/user friendly (great for removing PROGRAMS, but not files that execute themselves, but do not have a ".exe"

Okay. I tried almost every technique in this thread but it didnt seem to work for me. So here is a last resort naked way of getting rid of this "sneeky [bleep]" If anyone else is having the same problem read this.

Advanced removal
1*. (You will need NO spyware/adware/virus/etc. remover for this)
1. Start windows in safe mode (while "windows is starting up, wait for a message allowing (advanced start up options, or similar) The reason for safe mode is that only the most primative basic system programs will run in memory. (notice the lack of your icon in the lower right (task bar) + (ctrl,alt,delete taskmanger,processes TAB)
2. search for "azesearch"
3. Delete the files listed
4. IF YOU CANNOT DELETE 1 DONT WORRY (azesearch.ocx?) (in use by windows?)
This message is actually not one from windows, the message is a pop up from azesearch. What is really happening is that it is in use by another user, (but nothing foreign is running in the "processes") The file executes itself as another user on your system/NETWORK,(Nasy Stuff). This is why a post above, mentioned something about it not working if you are on a network. And this is why some people can kill it right there and unfortunate others cannot.

5.(If you could delete trhe file) right click,go into the file's properties
6. Now go to "open with" and select Wordpad. You can now execute the program and see the weird malicious coding if you really want but if not go on to..
7.NOw select the "Security" Tab at the top.
8. You now have a list of all the users who can "utilize" this file.
9.one by one "Deny all permissions to that fileSELECT THEM ALL INCLUDING !!!SYSTEM!!!
10. Now nothing can actually use that file, it is now a "Dormant" file.
11. FINALLY DELETE THE FILE (enjoy it)
12.....Reset homepage.

There you go...

Advertisements

scott808

scott808

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I finally got rid of the azesearch bar today. i tried ad ware and spybot but they both left part of it on there. so it was able to reinstall part of itself today.

i got rid of it by searching for file names that contained azesearch. three came up one of which could not be deleted because it was in use. i renamed that files type to .qqq and restarted and was then able to delete it.

hope that helps
scott808

zeebar

zeebar

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I finally got rid of the azesearch bar today. i tried ad ware and spybot but they both left part of it on there. so it was able to reinstall part of itself today.

i got rid of it by searching for file names that contained azesearch. three came up one of which could not be deleted because it was in use. i renamed that files type to .qqq and restarted and was then able to delete it.

hope that helps
scott808

View Post

That so totally worked for me!!! I renamed the one that wouldn't delete buttsucker :tazz: My kids were on the computer and ended up with a ton of crap being installed. What is a good blocker, I despise those nasty toolbars.

Florenze

Florenze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just thought I'd mention that Advanced Uninstaller Pro 2004
managed to get rid of "azesearch bar " for me today.

:tazz:

ChinaRabbit

ChinaRabbit

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
[removed]

Edited by admin, 04 April 2005 - 06:56 PM.

gautam1308

gautam1308

• Pip
  • 1 posts
An easy way to remove the toolbar if you are on lan is:

restart the system and don't login but access your computer from network and remove the file c:\winnt\system32\azesearch.ocx