Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keep losing Internet connection

• Please log in to reply

jollyr

jollyr

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi there GTG experts!

SYSTEM INFO:
Home computer (older Dell XPS )connected to D-link Wireless router via ethernet. ISP is Verizon DSL. Using ISP supplied Westell 2200 modem router (set to bridge mode).

PROBLEM:
The problem is that the Internet connection gets dropped several times a session.

DISCUSSION:
Can usually re-establish connection buy running a batch file I created using ipconfig.exe (separate instances with /release, /renew, /flushdns and /registerdns in separate lines). This usually fixes the problem. If not, I just reboot. The problem usually occurs while I have my e-mail client (Thunderbird) and AIM running at the same time but can also manifest itself while just browsing (Firefox and sometimes IE)

This can be quite a pain and should be unnecessary. I tried searching the Forum for "dropped internet connection" without success (too many results to wade through).

What could be causing this and what would be the probable solutions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JR

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have multiple machine's connected to this setup?

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
There are two two laptops that are occasionally connected via wireless (SSID not broadcast, otherwise open connection, no encryption).

Problem mainly occurs with home computer (whether or not there's an active wireless connections. Tired changing the NIC once and connecting the ethernet to one of the other connectors on the back of the router (D-Link), with no affect.

JR

Edited by jollyr, 20 December 2005 - 06:28 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Dropping DSL Internet Connection
21st Dec 2005

How long have you had the Verizon [DSL] with [Westell 2200] Modem – Did you have this problem just using the [Modem] direct without the [D Link Router] – How long have you had Router – Need to determine if problem is – [Modem] – [Router] – [PC] – [Connection] – [IP] – [NIC] -

Check your [Ethernet Cable] – Try a different cable -

Also – Recheck – all [DSL Filters] – that all phones have them installed – and that the [Westell Modem] does not have [Filter] on its DSL Line – Also make sure the DSL Line is not [Excessively Long]

How long have you had the [D Link Router] & When did this problem start – Sounds as if you have or had trouble with the [Router Setup] – Also are you using the Proper [IP Internet Access] – I think Verizon uses [PPPoE] -

The [Batch File] using – [ipconfig] – sounds as if – the [Westell Modem] & [D Link Router] are using same [IP Address] – when doing the [Router Setup] – You may have some [Remnants] of your [Initial Router Setup Process] – Lurking in your [Setup Files] –

Have you used [Verizon Help] – They can check your DSL Connection and useful Information -

It would be a long drawn out process – to try help you – [In a Forum Setup] – I suggest you get [Online Help] from [D Link Router] – and give all [Related info] – about your [Internet Issues] - Even if you did this previously – You may get a different person that has seen your problem before – Just give all Info –

Try that 1st – [Getting help from D-Link] – and then let us know of results – and Information/knowledge – that you gained – then we will be glad to assist you if [Internet Issues] still persists – We can contact some of our [Networking Techs] – to look at problem –

To locate this Post – later – Of course – This Forum is always improving – So this may change slightly –
1- Go to top of [Post Page]
2- Click on [My Assistant]
3- Click on [My last 10 Posts]
4- Click on [Keep losing Internet Connection] – http://www.geekstogo...ion-t85944.html

5- Or – Copy & Paste this [Whole Post] into [Word] – and save [Document] on PC to a location that you [Know where to retrieve it from] – then just Click on Following Link – It should take right to it –
6- http://www.geekstogo...ion-t85944.html

It is not that I don’t want to help or trying to put you off – I just want [you] to have more [Information/data & Current Router Data] and [Current Setup Process] on/for this Issue – It will also give me time to research [Router & Modem details] – Need Model Number of – [D Link Wireless Modem] – And can you give the details on [Modem & Router IP Addresses] – It is harder to work with just a [Snapshot] -

Do you have a [Software Firewall and/or AntiVirus] – And did you – [Temporary Disable] – when you did [Original Setup] – This may have been the [Origin] of Problem – As far as having [Remnants of Failed Installation/Setup] -

Jack123

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Jack123,

Thanks for the detailed response. Will proceed as suggested and let you know how I fare, or, perhaps it may be better to repost in the networking forum?

JR

---------------------------------------------------------------------
My answers to your questions, below, are in BOLD text
---------------------------------------------------------------------

How long have you had the Verizon [DSL] with [Westell 2200] Modem – 6-9 months
Did you have this problem just using the [Modem] direct without the [D Link Router] – No
How long have you had Router – 2-3 months
Need to determine if problem is – [Modem] – [Router] – [PC] – [Connection] – [IP] – [NIC] -

Check your [Ethernet Cable] – Try a different cable – Have tried several without success

Also – Recheck – all [DSL Filters] – that all phones have them installed – and that the [Westell Modem] does not have [Filter] on its DSL Line – Already Done. Have 5 phones and each one has a filter. The DSL line does not.
Also make sure the DSL Line is not [Excessively Long] – It’s not. I ran a dedicated line from the box outside my house. It’s about 60ft.

How long have you had the [D Link Router] & When did this problem start – 2-3 months, occurs intermittently since I have had it, can not recognize any pattern.
Sounds as if you have or had trouble with the [Router Setup] – Not as far as I can recall. Completed setup without seeing any error messages
Also are you using the Proper [IP Internet Access] – I think Verizon uses [PPPoE] – Yes I am, and Yes it does.

The [Batch File] using – [ipconfig] – sounds as if – the [Westell Modem] & [D Link Router] are using same [IP Address] – when doing the [Router Setup] – Followed Verizon’s procedure for setting the Westell Modem to Bridge mode.
You may have some [Remnants] of your [Initial Router Setup Process] – Lurking in your [Setup Files] – Not sure what you mean here?
Have you used [Verizon Help] – They can check your DSL Connection and useful Information – I will try this.

It would be a long drawn out process – to try help you – [In a Forum Setup] – I suggest you get [Online Help] from [D Link Router] – and give all [Related info] – about your [Internet Issues] - Even if you did this previously – You may get a different person that has seen your problem before – Just give all Info – Will try this, as well.

Try that 1st – [Getting help from D-Link] – and then let us know of results – and Information/knowledge – that you gained – then we will be glad to assist you if [Internet Issues] still persists – We can contact some of our [Networking Techs] – to look at problem –

To locate this Post – later – Of course – This Forum is always improving – So this may change slightly –
1- Go to top of [Post Page]
2- Click on [My Assistant]
3- Click on [My last 10 Posts]
4- Click on [Keep losing Internet Connection] – http://www.geekstogo...ion-t85944.html

5- Or – Copy & Paste this [Whole Post] into [Word] – and save [Document] on PC to a location that you [Know where to retrieve it from] – then just Click on Following Link – It should take right to it –
6- http://www.geekstogo...ion-t85944.html

It is not that I don’t want to help or trying to put you off – I just want [you] to have more [Information/data & Current Router Data] and [Current Setup Process] on/for this Issue –
It will also give me time to research [Router & Modem details] – Need Model Number of – [D Link Wireless Modem] – It’s a DI-524, production ver C, firmware version 2.60 (Current version)
And can you give the details on [Modem & Router IP Addresses] – It is harder to work with just a [Snapshot] – Will provide this info when I get back home later this evening.

Do you have a [Software Firewall and/or AntiVirus] – And did you – [Temporary Disable] – when you did [Original Setup] – This may have been the [Origin] of Problem – As far as having [Remnants of Failed Installation/Setup] – I use free version of ZoneAlarm (have disabled MS Firewall). Am not positive, but I seem to recall I had shut down the firewall when installing.

I will reset both the Modem and Router to their defaults and go through the setup process with the firewall off to be sure.

Edited by jollyr, 21 December 2005 - 01:31 PM.

sr71000

sr71000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
How are you connecting to verizon. Are your name and password saved in the modem? If not, try saving your name and password in the westell modem. Just call verizon...get a tech, and tell them you want to save your info into the modem and make sure it's connected 24/7. Once you do that, you should be fine. :tazz:

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi sr71000,

Is this the case, even when the modem is set to bridge mode?

Thanks.

JR