Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN XP ISSUES: Password Insecurity?

• Please log in to reply

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I need help--desperately. Please tell me everything you know about this potential issue! :tazz:

I did a little research and decided to make ALL my passwords more secure. This includes my windows log-in password (for my account.) I know have all of my log-in accounts password protected! It has come to my attention that there are ways people can get into your computer without a password and/or figure out your password using unknown methods. Help...

REQUEST ONE) I know one way they can get on is through safe mode. In safe mode, there is another log-in account that automatically appears, called "administrator." It is not password protected. People can click on that, and get on my system with a special, administrator level account. Not good and who knows what they can do. I'm tired of it---how do I password protect all accounts including administrator. There has to be a way.

REQUEST TWO) Make a list--heck, E-mail me if you have to. Tell me everyway someone can just boot my comptuer and figure out my password on the system without logging on. (IE, is there a boot command or bios type menu they can go to before windows loads to figure it out? I don't know...but you do.)

Thanks a bunch GTG!!!

Edited by STV0726, 21 December 2005 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

Aslyfox

Aslyfox

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
The only way they can boot into safe mode, is if they are in front of the computer. They can't access it remotely. Also, I don't think you can get a pass on safe mode, You may, but if you can, doing it wouldn't be the best idea; as you may forget it.

I cannot tell you any ways for your second request, as I have no way of knowing if you ( or anyone else reading this thread) will use the information illegaly.

Dontais

Dontais

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
You can change your passwords if you are paranoid, but for a good secure pass word a capital letter lower case letters , some numbers and a symbol say K789ik$ or a little longer just an example there and write them down. Most times admin acc is for when u are haveing problems and u will go into safemode to fix the issue, as for pass words and changing them here are a few links you can check:
http://www.microsoft...y/password.mspx
http://www.microsoft...ord_change.mspx

And for your second question i don't belive that they can acces your computer to change all your pass if you have a good firewall.

Just rember a password is usally changed regually as some of them documents say. And i don't belive if you do not have a admin pass on it in safemode it would harm you but u can always put one in if you want.

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
1.) "I cannot tell you any ways for your second request, as I have no way of knowing if you ( or anyone else reading this thread) will use the information illegaly." You know it REALLY frustrates me when someone at my level (underclassman) says something like that to me. If you didn't want to help, don't....instead of embarrassing me in front of everyone. I'm not trying to be rude, but think before you say. Thank you. :tazz: :) :)

2.) Thanks for your help Dontai. I apprciate it. I'm not worried about remote access, I'm just concerned that someone can log into safe mode and access the Admin account. Is there a way to establish a password to the Admin account.

3--to Admins.) I think there should be a rule that if someone isn't going to help, they shoudln't reply to a help post. Thanks.

Edited by STV0726, 21 December 2005 - 11:15 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

You it really frustrates me when another underclassman tells me he can't tell me something because I might use it illegally. I'm not trying to be rude, but if you weren't going to help me, just don't post this thread. thanks.

Howdy:

First of all, they answered your first question.. Then they told you where they stood on the second !!

If you aren't going to like the answers, then don't ask the question..

Perhaps it would mean more if a Mod told you.. Sorry, but as we have NO idea if you or anyone reading this thread will use that information for illicit purposes, it cannot be answered !!!

Murray

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Okay...but if he didn't like the second question, he just should have ignored it. Leave it to a moderator of the forum to say whether something is appropriate or not.

-Stephen V.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
stv...as far as the safe mode administrator (actual real administrator of the system)..by default that password is usually blank..because most people leave it blank during setup...if you want to set a password on it..log into that account and do so through the user panel in control pannel...simple as that...

the best way of stopping people from getting into your system remotely is to have a good firewall in place...

as far as local access...with the proper programs...anyone with physical access and the proper knowledge can get into your machine, reset passwords...whatever they want to do...the best method of protecting you from that..is to limit physical access to the machine...

we can't go into detail about software used for reseting paswords locally...because like dontais said...it could be used for bad....if you really want information on those programs use google....but we can't help you with that here...it's against the TOS...and...you have the right to be frustrated with that...but it's the rules if you have a problem with that..please contact an admin or a mod...if you need to...reference me in that pm as the one telling you that we can't tell you the info

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

we can't go into detail about software used for reseting paswords locally...because like dontais said...it could be used for bad....if you really want information on those programs use google....but we can't help you with that here...it's against the TOS...and...you have the right to be frustrated with that...but it's the rules if you have a problem with that..please contact an admin or a mod...if you need to...reference me in that pm as the one telling you that we can't tell you the info

That is a MUCH more professional and friendly response in my opinion. Again, I just get easily frustrated, and I'm sorry. I have a forum of my own, and I've always reprimanded members who take the role of staff.

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
:tazz: Wait a minute...slow down. I didn't need information on some crappy software like that.

All I was asking is was there a way someone can get into dos mode and access my files??????

But I remember I can seta bios password. Thanks for your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well hehe...that's what you should have asked..hehehe...yeah.. a bios password is usually helpful (though..those can be reset as well)

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Yes they can. But to my knockledge, is someone is new to your computer and never touched it before, the only way they can reset a bios password is to open the whole computer up and short circuite these 2 connections to reset it. Its's not likely my friend who installs crap on my computer (which is who I am protecting it from anyway) is going to do that.

But you never know.

Thanks.

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
:tazz: hey I'm sorry everybody. If you read my introduction at GEEKU you owuld have seen something about me having Asperger's Syndrome. I sometimes take things the wrong way. I thought that the guy above that didn't want me to have illegal whatever was being mean and just didn't want to help.

I wasn't aware that was a forum rule. Now I know to not do it, and now I know to thelp enforce it.

-Thanks all! :)

PS plz don't ban, kick, or kick me from GEEKu.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ive got one request stv...i know you've gotten frustrated here...but..please check your tone when using an electronic media such as this...sometimes it's hard to decypher the proper context and tone from a message posted on a forum...and we don't really want too many flair ups on the board... there are always many different ways to approach a problem...and the best way is usually the path of least resistance...curse the person in your house...but post a cordial message...it usually works better....and keep up the good work in geekU....we need all the help we can get

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
::tazz: :) :) :woot: Understood. :P :) :) :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks! :tazz: