Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good computer, FREEZING, no one knows how to fix it

• Please log in to reply

greggumz

greggumz

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello heres my system

AMD 64 3400+
Leadtek Winfast A6600 GT http://www.clubic.co...to/00110932.jpg (look at the fan, looks pretty weak)
K8t800 Pro Motherboard
Corsair 2GB DDR Memory
450W PSU
Windows XP

I posted a message last week about this, I got some suggestions. My problem is my computer isn't even half a year old, but since day one it's froze when playing games. I will be in the middle of playing a game and the game will freeze on the screen and the sound will skip. Eventually the sound goes away and I have to restart teh computer and boom everythign is fine. It randomly restarts, but I cannot go 2 hours with out it freezing. It dosnt matter what game i am playing, WoW, Fear, BF2, or HL2, it freezes on all of them.

When I posted this problem I was told it could be 1 of 4 issues. Bad Drivers (i have updated them since), Heat issue (my card has frozen at 69* C, and I've seen it freeze at 89* C, which i knwo is really hot, but I dont think 68* is very hot), Memory (i've bought 2 new gigs since my last post when I had 1 gig), or my power supply (which i admit is going out, but this is recent, my freezing problem has been happening for half a year). I have even disabled my Fast Writes in bios, and since I have AMD it automaticly does it in windos for me, unlike Intels.

So I feel backed against a wall, I do not know what else to do. One option is to buy a new fan for my video card, but who knows if that will fix it. Another which i will do either way is get a new power supply because mine is just too [bleep] loud haha, its going out on me.

I have done research and found NUMEROUS forums full of people asking about this problem, to me the common denominator seems to be when people have an Nvidia Card and an AMD CPU. This makes me mad cause I do not wanna dump money on something else, considering I just bought all of this, not even half a year ago. Another thign is now all of the nicer cards are PCI Express, and my motherboard dosnt have that.

Please I need advice this is driving me crazy!!!!! My computer runs these games no problem, but it freezes out of no where, and I hate it. Any advice, please, if 69* is too hot to be running games let me know, I know that 89* is. Also what sould my PSU temp be at? I really dont think its my PSU though. I just hope somone else out there reads this that has had this problem and fixed it. Also what video card should I get if I upgrade, I used to Love Nvidia but thsi has really let me down =(. Please let me know.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

There are some tests we could run that may determine the problem but first things first, What is the name and model of the psu? Or post the amps of the +12v,+3.3V and 5V.

Post all availible temps and voltages at idle.

If you suspect the psu is weak why not just replace it to be sure, the psu is the heart of the system and very well could cause this especially if its inadequate.

Rick

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello at idle my GPU temp is at 43* Celcius.

Heres something that happend. Its the second time its happend to me, one time was this summer. My video card started running slow in World of Warcraft so I went to windows and I had this waiting for me

http://x70.xanga.com...6/b16533390.jpg

I clicked Troubleshoot and got this

http://x03.xanga.com...6/b16533397.jpg

Sooooo the last time this happend was this summer, which leads me to believe that maybe by some merical it is just the Power Supply and that I just need a new one. The reason I had ruled this out before is becasue only recently within the past two weeks has my PSU fan started acting up and sounding loud, but this freezing up problem has been here since this summer. I'm goign to get a 500 W and pray that it does the trick, cause i know it will be expensive. If anyone else has ideas please leave them. I am posting this for feedback not just to let you knwo my problem is over. If anyone knows exactly waht caused these error messages let me know

Edited by greggumz, 21 December 2005 - 12:51 AM.

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
+3.5V = 26A

+5V = 35 A

+12V = 15 A

-12V = .8 A

-5V = .5 A

i read that off of my Power supply cause someone asked me to, can you tell me if the 15 Amps on the 12V is enough? for my card and my motherboard?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

i read that off of my Power supply cause someone asked me to, can you tell me if the 15 Amps on the 12V is enough? for my card and my motherboard?

No way, Amd recomends 18A but my friends over at Amd say they recomend something in the mid 20's on the 12v when using todays video cards.

I recomend a 480w Antec true power.

You must replace the psu first then if the problem persists we can try other things but with a cheap power supply you would be wasting your time.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The screenshots you posted also indicate the card is not getting enough power

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I went and bought this one for 65$ I had three people at the store say it would work its' got dual 12 Volts???? Heres what i got tell me if yout hink its good enough, i already hooked it up, havn't froze yet, but only played like an hour.

http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=26400

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Good job you will be fine with that it has a combined amps of 29a on the 12v1 and 12v2.

You won't freeze no more, good luck and enjoy

Rick

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
YAY! haha I'll let you guys know if this solves my problem thanks for being so nice

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and please keep us posted

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I replaced my power supply 4 days ago, still no freeze, I think that was my problem the whole time, a weak power supply thanks guys, just keeping you updated. Problem fixed.

greggumz

greggumz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Within hours of posting my last post that it wasn't freezing, my computer froze again. I still have the same problem. I think its total BS that so many other people have this problem, and the only solution? Get another system setup. Thats just not right, i should be able to get my money back, becasue it's obvious this is a problem with 6600 GT AGP cards.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Run memtest86 to test the ram, test each stick individually and let memtest run for at least 2 hours on each stick and report back what it finds.

Could you list all your avalible temps?

Nick Jansen van Rensburg

Nick Jansen van Rensburg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I've been having the same problem as you. Almost exactly, and I've found the problem, after months of searching, but no definitive solution. The problem lies with you K8T800 Motherboard. The VIA chipset is very buggy and has given many people sever depression. I've been told to update it with VIA's 4 in 1 drivers. I'm doin it now. I'll let you know if I can sort it out. In my honest opinion VIA shouldn't be allowed to sell their rubbish. Google VIA and AMD and you'lle find the compatibility problem.

Hope this helps

Nick

Huh

Huh

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was experiencing the same problems that you have. I have a ATI Radeon 9600XT card.

I would start playing and my computer would violently crash. Monitor would shut down and buzzing would come from the speakers. I had no choice but to shut the computer down.

After experiencing frustrating attempts to fix including taking it to the original builder of the system, I finally opened up the tower and placed a house fan nearby to provide airflow.

My game played perfectly and no more crashes. I must have been having a heat issue.