Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would leave AVG as an antivirus software, microsoft antispyware as an active antispyware (one which is active and protect the computer all the time, and you see its icon in the task bar), and use Adaware SE about once a week. In my opinion it's the best antispyware program, it's only drawback is that the free edition must be operated (updates and scans) by the user. Out of that I would remove all the rest.

Now to the point: after eliminating part of your arsenal scan your computer with all the above mentioned programs. If after that the computer still gives the problems you mentioned I would run a repair installation of windows, folowing the instructions pinned at the top of this forum. It is very possible that there is a file corruption that might be fixed by this easy procedure.

Last note: antivirus programs can create all sorts of problem. This include AVG which in my opinion is an excellent product (I use it exclusively for a long time). I would strongly recommend that you remove it from your computer, download and install it again, just to make sure.

Advertisements

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
To stress once again because you appear to be getting misleading advice: there is no one anti-spyware scan that will catch everything. Running multiple scans is recommended to keep yourself malware-free.

Infect any computer with malware and run every decent anti-spyware program you can think of and each one will find something the others did not.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
With all due respect, I fully in agreement with dessenette regarding multiple antispyware running simultanously. You shouldn't have more than one running like you shouldn't have more than one antivirus installed and running.

Another thing: there are many junk programs floating around that can cause more harm than good. It is very important to choose good, proven, reputable programms. I find that the combination of AVG Free antivirous, Microsoft antispyware, Lavasost's Adaware SE and probably Spybot Search and Destroy are more than enough to keep your computer clean, provided you update and scan frequently, and check from time to time to make sure that all modules are installed and functioning (especially in antivirus). An extra benefit of the above mentioned programms is that they are all free to download, have many updates and are easy to use.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thank you, y.a I do sometimes get a bit confused about how much antispyware to run. Matt said: Infect any computer with malware and run every decent anti-spyware program you can think of and each one will find something the others did not

Anyway, my computer is till running really show and I think it has somethig to do with the AOL Instant Messenger I had installed and that weather balloon must still be around somewhere.

Thanks.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
"I would leave AVG as an antivirus software, microsoft antispyware as an active antispyware (one which is active and protect the computer all the time, and you see its icon in the task bar), and use Adaware SE about once a week. In my opinion it's the best antispyware program, it's only drawback is that the free edition must be operated (updates and scans) by the user. Out of that I would remove all the rest.

Now to the point: after eliminating part of your arsenal scan your computer with all the above mentioned programs. If after that the computer still gives the problems you mentioned I would run a repair installation of windows, folowing the instructions pinned at the top of this forum. It is very possible that there is a file corruption that might be fixed by this easy procedure.

Last note: antivirus programs can create all sorts of problem. This include AVG which in my opinion is an excellent product (I use it exclusively for a long time). I would strongly recommend that you remove it from your computer, download and install it again, just to make sure'
------------------------------

Okay, thank you. I will remove AVG and reinstall it. I use Ad-Aware every day and I keep everything updated. I do not see a Repair Installation of Windows at the top of this forum.

Is it called something else? Also, you all did not find anything in my Hijack log that would be causing problems? Would I also remove cwshredder, ccleaner and STNG? There is a ZSscheduler.dll that I cannot get rid of, too.

One more question. When I remove what you suggested and reinstall AVG and scan, should I then try to see if one of my System Restores will work, or should I disable it after the scan and then re-enable it? Questions, Question,s questions! Thanks so much.

Have to scoot for a while. Will print this info and get to it later. Merry Christmas! :tazz:

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thanks again. I see another message from you, but somehow I cannot get to it. Anyway. Haved to run now. Will work on this later. Thank you so much! My brain is addled right now. :tazz:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your choice of programs is excellent (AVG + Adaware + Microsoft antispyware). cwshredder and the others are special tools that you do not need for everyday use. You can always download and use them in case of a special need.

Regarding Windows XP repair, look at the third topic from the top when you enter this forum. It is titled "repair windows XP". There you will find detailed information concerning repair installation of windows XP. I would do the installation after removing AOL messenger, running disk cleanup (start > programs > accessoroes > system tools > disk cleanup), complete scan by all the antimalware programs that you left and defragmantation of the hard disk (start > programs > accessoroes > system tools > disk defragmenter).

Good Luck

Ami Yogev

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts

With all due respect, I fully in agreement with dessenette regarding multiple antispyware running simultanously. You shouldn't have more than one running like you shouldn't have more than one antivirus installed and running.

Another thing: there are many junk programs floating around that can cause more harm than good. It is very important to choose good, proven, reputable programms. I find that the combination of AVG Free antivirous, Microsoft antispyware, Lavasost's Adaware SE and probably Spybot Search and Destroy are more than enough to keep your computer clean, provided you update and scan frequently, and check from time to time to make sure that all modules are installed and functioning (especially in antivirus). An extra benefit of the above mentioned programms is that they are all free to download, have many updates and are easy to use.

Like I said before, you certainly should only have 1 real-time protection program running. More than 1 can and will cause conflicts. Having multiple programs installed, however, is recommended and certainly not harmful in any fashion.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hmmmmm! Guess I cannot see with my glasses on. :tazz: At the very top of this screen, in the blue title bar, are Homes, Forums, Blogs, Downloads, Webhosting, Startup Lists. Then, under that, Geeks to Go. Under that, Terms of Use, et al. Under that, it shows me logged in and other stuff. I'll be doggone if I can see anything called "Repair Windows XP".

I have five Dell disks called Software Restoration CD. (I have a bunch of other Dell disks also) I had used these several months ago when an Elvis Presley screen saver messed me up and I could not restore. Do not really want to go through that again re-installing everything. But if I have to I have to. Guess my Hijack log did not help?

I had already removed AOL Instant Messenger, a couple of days ago now.

This is what I did earlier this evening.

Uninstalled Spyware Blaster
Uninstalled AVG and re-installed it.
Uninstalled Spyware Dr
Uninstalled Malicious Software removal tool (it was not in the Add/Remove, though) and that was giving me problems. When I go to Windows Update and review the history, I have 14 December updates (with diffrerent dates) of the Malicious Software Removal, and a bunch in November. I have been in touch with Microsoft about it, and got a reply as what to try. It did not work, and I emailed back that it did not. But have not heard from them yet - this was two days ago.

I ran Registry Mechanic.

I now have Ad-Aware; Ccleaner; CW Shredder; Microsoft Antispyware (which never finds anything); Stng259.exe (a stand-alone anti-virus scanner); Cleanup40.exe; Spybot Search and Destory; and AVG. Maybe I should re-insall Spyware Doctor, as it is the only one that has ever found any baddies.

I scanned with AVG. Nothing was found. Also scanned with something else, but now forgot. (Brain getting addled again) I did a disk cleanup, a dskck, choosing to fix any errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. Sometimes I just check the attempt recovery of bad sectors but it just always gives me a message Disk Check complete. Never lets me know if anything is wrong, and I know sometimes that there is, so that is why I also choose to fix the errors..

After the dskchk I defragged and got a message that some files could not be defragmented. I then went to Safe Mode and defragged again, and got the same messge. That is unusual.

Boy, doing all this stuff is tiring! :)

Will wait until I hear something back before I do anything else I realize it could be a couple of days because of Christmas. In the meantime, here is a joke to end the evening with a laugh.

Don't ever make the nurse mad........
A hot business man had to spend a couple of days in the
hospital. He was a royal pain to the nurses because he bossed them around just like he did his employees. None of the hospital staff wanted to have anything to do with him. The head nurse was the only one who could stand up to him. She came into his room and announced, "I have to take your temperature." After complaining for several minutes, he finally settled down, crossed his arms and opened his mouth. "No, I'm sorry," the nurse stated" but for this reading, I can't use an oral thermometer." This started another round of complaining, but eventually he rolled over and bared his behind. After feeling the nurse insert the thermometer, he heard her announce, "I have to get something. Now you stay right there until I get back!" She left the door to his room open on her way out. He cursed under his breath as he heard people walking past his door, laughing. After almost an hour, the man's doctor came into the room "What's going on here?" asked the doctor. Angrily, the man answered, "Haven't you ever seen someone having their temperature taken?" After a pause the doctor confessed, "Not with a carnation."

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi foxygrandma,

It's the first time that I brougt my wife, who is a nurse, to read a post in geeks to go!

Regarding windows repair: After you connect to geeks to go you find, on the lefthand side the list of forums. Enter into Operating Systems > windows XP, 2000, 2003, NT. Third topic from the top is the one about windows XP repair. However, in your last post you mentioned that you have 5 recovery disks. You won't be able to perform a repair with those.

As about what to do next, if you do not want to format the computer, and if you have time and patience I suggest that you place your HJT file in the Spyware Support Forum.

Merry Christmas

Ami Yogev

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
just becaue i was one of the one's giving "misleading " advice...just want to clarify my side of this for matt....you're right....it's the real time protection deals taht cause the issue (which is what i said)...but...because alot of people don't know what that is...or how to turn it off...i always just suggest one permanant spyware program (or one with real time..and one without)...then a multitude of online scans....just want to make myself clear...merry xmas

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
I wasn't actually referring to you, so I apologize if I offended you. Your advice was sound and I understood what you were saying, I was just making sure that she understood that it was ok to have more than 1 anti-spyware program on her computer, it was the real-time protection that was a problem.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Ouf of these several messages I have on here, I only see one Reply button. I am embarassed as I need to reply to all on this one. :tazz: Somehow I am not doing it right. Guess I need to go to my email inbox and choose each message link?

Anyway, thanks dsnette, Matt, y.a. and anyone else I missed.

I did post a hijackthis message somewhere in the Malware link. Oh well.

I am going to print out all of this information and get back to it tonight as I have to scoot in just a few. Guess I will try that XP Repair Install.

That joke is so funny! Every time I read it, I howl with laughter. :)

Thanks so much, again. And once again, Merry Christmas! :)

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
FOXYGRANDMA, if you click the Quote button at the bottom of each individual post, it will open up a reply window where you can type more text in and it will quote that post. Try that. :tazz: