Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Ouf of these several messages I have on here, I only see one Reply button. I am embarassed as I need to reply to all on this one. :tazz: Somehow I am not doing it right. Guess I need to go to my email inbox and choose each message link?

Anyway, thanks dsnette, Matt, y.a. and anyone else I missed.

I did post a hijackthis message somewhere in the Malware link. Oh well.

I am going to print out all of this information and get back to it tonight as I have to scoot in just a few. Guess I will try that XP Repair Install.

That joke is so funny! Every time I read it, I howl with laughter. :)

Thanks so much, again. And once again, Merry Christmas! :)

Advertisements

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hmmmm, well, let's see if I did it right.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Keith, think I finally figured out how to get to you to thank you. Am going to try the XP Repair Install now.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hi, Keith, and all. :tazz:

I printed the instruction page to repair Windows XP. When it said to insert Windows XP CD, the only one I could insert was a Dell Reinstallation CD for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, including Service Pack2. The instructions were somewhat different from the printed instructions. Anyway, I did it, and the computer is acting better. Does not take as long to shut down or boot up.

AVG was acting strangely (when I had just uninstalled and re-installed it before the Windows change), so I uninstalled it and re-installed it again. So far, so good. I never see it scanning for anything. I guess it runs in the background? Should I have it not scan email? Seems to me I read somewhere that it was not necessary.

Also, when I go to Start, Explore, and try to copy My Favorites to a CD, I keep getting a message that Internet Explorer has to close. It will copy other items from Explore but not that one. I sent My Favorites to the desktop and was able to copy them to a CD from there. So I do not understand. But I will research that another time.

Wonder if I dare try Incredimail or Smiley Central? Various people I know have both of them and never have any problems. Me, I tried both of them and my computer really messed up. This was a few months ago. I do not know why I always get in trouble. I scan regularly and keep all my antispyware, etc., updated. I have a folder on my desktop called Maintenance, so it is easy for me to just go there and let the scans do their thing.

What I have now in the folder are: Ad-Aware; Ccleaner; CWShredder; Microsoft Antispyware; Registry Optimizer; stng259.exe; AVG free; CleanUp40.exe; Spybot Search and Destroy. (Or is this still too many?) Other items I have in there, nonspyware-related are: erunt; Belarc Advisor; a registry optimizer; Everest Home Edition; htmleditor.vbs; PC Wizard 2005; Yahoo_mailto.zip, and hotmail_mailto.zip

Hope now the computer can be more fun. I spent months researching heart sites, so now I want to have enjoyment on this computer. Only got it this past May as a birthday present, and have had a lot of problems. Hopefully, now everything will be hunky dory. I put in new WAV sounds a few week ago, and that did not harm the computer (it was the AOL Instant Messenger that seemed to mess up). Anyway, now when I boot up I get Marilyn Monroe singing Happy Birthday to President Kennedy. Then when I get to AOL, I get a male voice saying, “It’s about time you got here”. And when I get offline I get Donald Duck saying, “Well, it’s about time. If you think it has been fun, it hasn’t.” Then when I empty my Recycle Bin, I hear a chorus singing “Hallelujah! Really funny! I am just a kid at heart!

Thank you all so much from the bottom of this 71-year-old lady’s heart. May you NEVER have transmission failure on the interstate at 5 PM, and may the fleas of a thousand camels NEVER infest your armpits. Thank your Moms for me, too, for rearing such helpful people.

Hope this gets to everybody okay. Did not know whether I should have made a new topic and called it Feedback, or what.

Now, I am going to try to see if I can put my picture on profile on this site. Or maybe I will do that tomorrow.

If you have not seen this Christmas presentation, it is really neat! :)

http://jsmagic.net/emissary/

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I reckon the registry cleaners are doing the damage here

Uninstall cleanup 40 and all the registry optimizers

Open CCleaner, click options then settings to put a tick in run CCeaner when the computer starts

If you use the scan for issues option of CCleaner, always take the option to make a back up, create a folder for them in my documents and name them chronologically so you can find and restore the most recent one

Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, Microsoft AntiSpyware, CW Shredder and AVG Free can be on the desktop

Microsoft Antispyware should have an icon in the taskbar and scan at 2 AM each day

AVG should scan your mail, see if you can schedule it to scan each day, though not at start up as this will make the PC take longer to boot

What is stng259

Try this to optimize the registry

http://www.snapfiles...t/ntregopt.html

NTREGOPT will minimize the size of the registry files and optimize registry access. The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch", thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously modified or deleted keys. The program does not change the contents of the registry in any way, nor does it defrag the registry files "on-disk" (as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does).

Use this to defrag the drive

http://www.vcsoftwar...SpeeDefrag.html

This program restarts your pc and runs defrag program only which
optimizes defragmentation speed and also it automatically shutdown your pc after completion...

So just before going to bed switch it on and in the morning you'll find
your hard disk defraged and pc shutdown...

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I reckon the registry cleaners are doing the damage here

Uninstall cleanup 40 and all the registry optimizers

Open CCleaner, click options then settings to put a tick in run CCeaner when the computer starts

If you use the scan for issues option of CCleaner, always take the option to make a back up, create a folder for them in my documents and name them chronologically so you can find and restore the most recent one

Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, Microsoft AntiSpyware, CW Shredder and AVG Free can be on the desktop

Microsoft Antispyware should have an icon in the taskbar and scan at 2 AM each day

AVG should scan your mail, see if you can schedule it to scan each day, though not at start up as this will make the PC take longer to boot

What is stng259

Try this to optimize the registry

http://www.snapfiles...t/ntregopt.html

NTREGOPT will minimize the size of the registry files and optimize registry access. The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch", thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously modified or deleted keys. The program does not change the contents of the registry in any way, nor does it defrag the registry files "on-disk" (as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does).

Use this to defrag the drive

http://www.vcsoftwar...SpeeDefrag.html

This program restarts your pc and runs defrag program only which
optimizes defragmentation speed and also it automatically shutdown your pc after completion...

So just before going to bed switch it on and in the morning you'll find
your hard disk defraged and pc shutdown...

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
All right. Thank you, Keith. I just set Microsoft Antispyware to scan at 2 AM every day. But I am on dialup and usually am offline by midnight. Will it just scan when I get online in the mornings? There is an icon in the task bar. I have a lot of items on my desktop, some in folders, and some not. Do Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CW Shredder, and Microsoft Antispyware HAVE to be on the desktop?

Stng259 is a standalone anti-virus scanner by McAffee. I did have MacAffee, through AOL, but uninstalled it a few days ago and kept the standalone.

For the Ccleaner I do make a backup. Does it HAVE to be in my Documents? I just keep all my scan stuff in the Maintenance folder, as it is easier for me not to have to go from place to place.

Thanks again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Carry on as you are, as long as the programmes run and you know where to find the CCleaner back ups

Microsoft will only run if the PC is on, so just run it manually after you boot up and are not doing anything in particular, though it will run in the background

You can keep stng259 as long as it is not running when AVG is, because they could cancel each other, so set stng259 not to run when Windows starts, then if you want to use it, start it manually, then turn AVG off and scan with stng259, reboot after the scan so that stng will not load and AVG will

Speedefrag will defrag then shut the PC down so it should boot as quick as possible

Advertisements

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Carry on as you are, as long as the programmes run and you know where to find the CCleaner back ups

Microsoft will only run if the PC is on, so just run it manually after you boot up and are not doing anything in particular, though it will run in the background

You can keep stng259 as long as it is not running when AVG is, because they could cancel each other, so set stng259 not to run when Windows starts, then if you want to use it, start it manually, then turn AVG off and scan with stng259, reboot after the scan so that stng will not load and AVG will

Speedefrag will defrag then shut the PC down so it should boot as quick as possible

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
All right. Thank you, Keith. I run stng259 manually. I keep the Ccleaner backups in the maintenance folder, too. That way, stuff is not scattered all over the place.

Tomorrow I will perform the tasks you said earlier. I have a lot to remember so I have printed most of the message.

Thanks again. Tired now and going to bed to read and fall asleep, I hope.

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I tried the Speedfrag earlier today, and have a question. I watched it just for about a minute and it was at 3%, and just a few minutes later the computer said YEE HAW (one of the things it says when closing down) and the computer shut down. That sure did not take very long. Is that because I had reinstalled Windows and it did not need defragging?

“Open CCleaner, click options then settings to put a tick in run CCeaner when the computer starts” I did this, but I do not see it doing anything when the computer starts up. Maybe because I do not have anything checked in it? :tazz: I had always done it manually and would only check a couple of items at a time. Like, under Windows, I would check Cookies, History, Temporary Internet Files, and let it erase those. Do not know what Index.dat files are, but did choose it one time to delete. Then I would go to Windows Explore and check a few there. Then to System and to the same there. I did not use Advanced at all, as I was hesitant. :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you get an unwanted file, delete it, look at the recycle bin icon which should show something, reboot the PC and just after everything has loaded, you should see the recycle bin empty

Speedefrag should show analysis, then you should see a flashing line (small) underneath, then it will shutdown. If you haven't done much since installing then it will be quick. You can run it once a week but I just walk away and leave it as that is the advantage of it shutting off automatically

FOXYGRANDMA

FOXYGRANDMA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

This is how mine is set

[attachment=5382:attachment]

When you get an unwanted file, delete it, look at the recycle bin icon which should show something, reboot the PC and just after everything has loaded, you should see the recycle bin empty

Speedefrag should show analysis, then you should see a flashing line (small) underneath, then it will shutdown. If you haven't done much since installing then it will be quick. You can run it once a week but I just walk away and leave it as that is the advantage of it shutting off automatically