Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Firewall will not enable

• Please log in to reply

Jeff Brokenshire

Jeff Brokenshire

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I go into the control panel's security centre to alter the firewall settings I find that the firewall is switched off, when I hit the enable button I get the following message - "We're sorry. The Security Centre could not turn on Windows Firewall. To try turning on the firewall yourself, go to Windows Firewall in control panel. In the Windows Firewall dialog general tab, select on and then click OK".........

When I try to do this, I get the following message - "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings"

I have no antivirus and I would appreciate any help

Mnay Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look at more info for each of these then select the one you prefer

Firewalls

You should only run firewall programme because running two could cause them to cancel each other out

Look at more info for each of these then select the one you prefer

Anti Virus Programmes

You should only run one anti virus programme because running two could cause them to cancel each other out

You can run online virus scans alongside an installed anti virus programme

You can install and run 1, 5, 7 and 8 from here

Anti Spyware Programmes

Jeff Brokenshire

Jeff Brokenshire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Keith,

Thanks for replying but being a dope I do not understand what I should do with your reply. The problem is, when I start the notebook up, it all works perfectly. and then a bubble appears with a warning that the Microsoft firewall is disabled. I go into the Control Panel and in the security settings I click on the firewall enable box, but it will not enable. Can you help me with this?

Again, many thanks.

Jeff.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Windows XP Firewall only blocks incoming data, whereas those from the link will block incoming and outgoing data, and will turn the XP Firewall off, and thus the warning balloon

Jeff Brokenshire

Jeff Brokenshire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Keith,

Yhat is an amazingly quick reply. I will follow your instructions tonight. I live in South Australia and it is 10:30am and will be 38 degrees Celscius tomorrow. I see you live in the UK so that is why I am impressed with your reply. Don't think you will reach the temperatures we will have for Xmas.

Go well

Jeff

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will find the third party firewall more active than XP in respect of outgoing data, have a look at the anti virus and anti spyware programmes

Zone Alarm Free and AVG Free is a popular combination

I expect it will be more like minus 38 here

LostMan15

LostMan15

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
So there is no way of getting windows firewall up again without the XP CD? n how can u get zonealram free?

LostMan15

LostMan15

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
And if i can't get that firewall up, is it ok if i have Spy Sweeper and Avast!? will it be good enough to keep my computer safe?

CCMike

CCMike

Trusted Helper

• IRC Chat Staff
  • 40 posts
if you look at the begining of this post and follow the link for firewalls it will take you to a list of firewall products