Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ip Adress Conflict

• Please log in to reply

AfrikanAdmin

AfrikanAdmin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi
i have a server running windows 2000 and i keep getting this windows sytem error saying the system has detected an ip adress conflict with another system on the network , my server has a static ip adress i have checked and found no machine having that ip adress i have looked in the dhcp adress leases as well through DNS forward look ups i cant find a pc with that adress , where else can i look other than going to each PC yet each pc is assignd an adress through DHCP please help

Afrikan :help:

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello AfrikanAdmin,
The next time you recieve that error message, go to Event Viewer (Start, Run, EVENTVWR) and check the System and Application logs. Look for an entry that says something like this:
"The system detected an address conflict for IP address 192.168.1.100 with the system having network hardware address 00:0C:41:9B:88:89".
If you find that message, then that hardware address will the be the address you will need to find; it will be the cause of the problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may also want to check the connecting hardware...ip conflicts are for every device...if you slipped up and gave a router the same ip as your server..then that will give a conflict as well...

AfrikanAdmin

AfrikanAdmin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi dsenette

thanks for the insight but am sure that the router does not have the same ip adress i checked

anymore guides i will appreciate

thanks
Afrikan
:tazz:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
You would also be recieving that error message if something on your network was designated an IP outside the permitted range; ie: if your router permits 192.168.1.100-199 addresses and something on your network has a .99 or .200 address, then that would also cause the conflict.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you don't want to check the IP on every machine then the easy way is to turn all the machines off at night and turn 1 on at a time in the morning and watch for the popup.
Have you added a new modem or router or is there more then 1 server.